Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

thirumala1 (yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy)     17 February 2015

Movie dialogues

Hello experts 

Do we need to get copyright for dialogues in the movies?

Thanks in advance.

Learning

2 Replies

Sabrina Lil'W   04 April 2020

To be honest, I'm not a professional in this theme. But to my mind, it is necessary to have rights for dialogues. By the way, I'm a big cinema lover. It is a kind of hobby to watch and to collect different movies. Recently I have bought a new 3d blu ray player. It is so awesome. Now I can watch my favorite movies in 3D!

Archit Uniyal   09 April 2020

Hi

Your question is regarding copyright in India

In India, copyrights are protected and governed by The Copyright Act 1957 (as amended by the Copyright Amendment Act 2012) where all copyrights registrations are handled by the Copyright Office under the immediate control of a Registrar of Copyrights, appointed by the Central Government. The copyright lasts for 60 years and will be applicable to all the countries part of the Berne Convention as Copyright registered in India is recognized worldwide under the Berne Convention and the applicable law of its member nations.

Movie Screenplay(includes dialogues) can be copyrighted in India by applying to the Copyright Office in India with an application for registration of copyright along with some documents. You may find the form and the list of the required documents on the copyright office website of India.

A movie scriptt, including the dialogue contained within it, is under copyright protection. Mentioning where you took the dialogue from does not protect you from copyright infringement. If you use the dialogue as brand jargon for a clear commercial purpose that is amount to copyright violation in the first place unless you make an attempt to signify your act as Fair Use by obtaining a NOC from the writer and director of the movie. A judge will also consider the following points :

1. The Purpose of the Dealing
  2. The Character of the Dealing
  3. The Amount of the Dealing
  4. Alternatives to the Dealing

I hope it resolves your query.

Regards,

Archit

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register