LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Misconduct in workplace

I work in a development organization which I joined a month back. I have been very poilte and humble to every employee and co-colleagues in the office. However, since past one week one of my colleagues had been very rude to me, Initially I thought he is joking or this is his nature. As i have to coordinate with him for the work assigned to me I was making efforts to go to him and enquire him about what is the update on the work. But many a times he had been very rude and offensice in front of the other staff. saying stuff like get out. no i will not tell you, no I will not do it. Today when I was sitting with my line manager I told the said employee I am talking about  the query he had requested me to ask for I have myself checked in case when they send the mail we can cross check and he in a very rude and degrading manner cut my suggestion and replied no I will not do it I will not check your mail. To which I politely replied that you could have said it nicely you didnt have to be so rude. After that he started all kinds of things to my line manager that I am always on his head and rushing things and I myself take too many breaks and dont let him take a break. rather when he takes break I always tell him its ok you take your time and let me know when you have time. Which i believe he had ignored and drafted his own false stories and image about me. When I eventually started to cry overwhelmed by the negative and rude remarks he told my line manager I am doing drama. Finally i told him let it be I dont want to talk and went to the washroom. Post that my line manager told me that he is line that a little sanki and throws tantrum its his nature dont mind and dont cry and he left. This has happened with other female and male employees before but no action had ever been taken because of which I believe he had behaved in this manner with me. I always try to help him with whatever information he needs and I always request in a polite manner in case I need help becasue being a new employee to the organization i dont want to make any mistakes. Is me asking a thing 3-4 times imy mistake?? PLease suggest in this case what should I do?? I dont want to take it legally but I dont want it to happen to me or anyone else again in the workspace. Also I dont know if my seniors will stand by me or support me. Kindly suggest. 

Learning

4 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     12 April 2019

In an organization, do not expect such niceties from everyone as each one may be having different tantrums, jealousies, ambitions, showbusiness but in case of female employees it is very serious, and a simple complaint by a female co-worker may ruin the entire career.  At least have sympathies with such person, as he may be behaving in the same way with his family members, who have to tolerate it for many hours.  If you think that it is beyond your patience then make a complaint to Head pointing out a specific date, time and the way he misbehaved and quote three or four instances of his indecent behavior.  Your employer is bound to conduct an inquiry through a committee as harassing at the workplace of a female employee is Gross misconduct and has to be viewed seriously.

Anil Upadhyay (Lawyer)     12 April 2019

you have to escalate this issue with upper management, otherwise your silence can boost him and more serious problems may be cropped....

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     13 April 2019

You will appreciate this is a site to provide necessary legal help to needy litigants, whereas you do not want to take any legal action then what for did you post this story?

(Guest)
Dear Mr. Vashishta, though I didn't want to take a legal step however I wanted to know how I can solve this matter within legal parameters. Secondly, my seniors have given him warning to not behave in such manner and consoled me by saying that he has a psychological issue. And am the 4th woman with whom he has misbehaved and he has not spared the men in our office as well. I still wonder why strict action is not taken against him. However if he still repeats the same thing future how can I legally act on it?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register