Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

darshan (Territory Manager)     20 January 2014

Mental haressment by the employer, and even not relieving

Hi,

I am facing problem with my current employer. It is an MNC Life Insurance company in Delhi. I wanted to leave the organization due to bad behaviour of my reporting manager.

I resigned on 13th Jan.'14. My reporting manager called up on 13th Jan. and asked me not to resign. When i did not listen, and sent mail to them, they did not reply for 3 days.  I got an email on 16th Jan'14 from HR " your resignation can not be accepted because you are under investigation". I sent revert mail to them asking them about the reason of investigation. She sent mail saying "will tell you the reason in due course of time, till further investigation report to the office".

I have offer letter from another company. New company wants my joining immediately otherwise they can hire another candidate.

I am facing problem because company is neither telling the reason of investigation nor relieving me. I do not have much time to wait because new company is not ready to wait. 

Company HR and Sales team are haressing me without any reason. They never told me about such investigation before resignation. All problems starting immediately after resignation. HR is trying to retain me through this kind of activity.

What can i do in this case?

Need help...

Regards,

Darshan

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 January 2014

>>> The first thing you should do is consult elders in the family and along with elders approach a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer at your location and let any communication now be structured by your lawyer.

The Standing Orders are applicable to the Life Insurance Companies and you should demand certified copy of the standing orders applicable to the company (Certified/Model), HR policy, Compliance policy, FNF policy, Conduct and discipline rules of the company, standing orders (if you can enter office and your log in id is not blocked you can download from HR portal for the employees), and also all docs and records, files etc that would be relevant in your case....................................Later company shall not allow access to any record/doc.

The certifying officer (CO) in o/o Labor Commissioner at the location of redg. office of the company can confirm if the standing orders of the company are certified or not and can also provide certified copy against a set fee say Rs.3/page.

Apply your resources and try to find the investigation is pertaining to while matter and get copies.

Be Smart and Tactful.

The belief in such companies is that the person should not remain in town/industry/competition.

The company may terminate and/or provide negative feedback about you to next employers.

You should have next employer in confidence so that you get copy of BGV/Reference check in writing if required and next employer should stand by you and keep you in employment.

>>> The Trade Union of private Life Insurance companies Employees have been formed in many states and it is said that they have resolved many cases successfully.

It shall be better for you to become member of some Trade Union as ap.

>>> You have posted that:

---“I wanted to leave the organization due to bad behaviour of my reporting manager.”

Did you ever report it in writing to any one including Grievance Redressal Cell (which almost all such companies have) or to good offices of appointing authority, MD...................or in notice of resignation?

Do you have any witness and shall anyone be your witness?

Have you ever recorded such incidences (AV) that can be produced as evidence?

---“I resigned on 13th Jan.'14. My reporting manager called up on 13th Jan. and asked me not to resign. When i did not listen,”

Have you recorded this call?

You may go thru another thread at;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Resignation-not-accepted--446951.asp#.Ut1QqNK6aXZ

and

Mettur Spinning Mills, Mettur Dam vs Dy. Commissioner Of Labour,

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/756681/?type=print

Standing Orders appears to be the only provision by virtue of which an employee under the petitioner of his own accord can go out of employment and give up his office. Hence the process of going out of office can be equated to.................................... resignation.

In Gisdrosiva case the Supreme court dealt with a rule which in tenor is similar to clause 13(iv) of the present Standing Ordered and the Supreme Court pointed out that the servant by giving notice in accordance with the rule, has unequivocally informed the Government that he has terminated the services with the Government and that put an end to the services and therefore, it was not open to the Government to take any disciplinary proceedings against him thereafter.

Your lawyer can opine whether this is applicable in your case and other citations if the need be.

----“When i did not listen, and sent mail to them, they did not reply for 3 days.  I got an email on 16th Jan'14 from HR " your resignation can not be accepted because you are under investigation". I sent revert mail to them asking them about the reason of investigation. She sent mail saying "will tell you the reason in due course of time, till further investigation report to the office".’

The company has otherwise informed you on impending investigation. You shall not be relieved with clean relieving letter.

You have worked with a MNC Life Insurance Company and you are aware what kind of selling/misselling/forced selling is in practice, how the docs are manufactured and probably someone or your manager has highlighted some issue regarding you that may be a ‘Compliance issue’.........

Probably you might be aware that in case of compliance issue the company can terminate and record the adverse findings in your personnel file and can even proceed to file complaints against you which may be highly detrimental..

If you are at 1st line (Unit Manager/Sales Manager etc) then you may be covered like Development Officer of LIC, as ‘Workman’......................

And also as

‘Employee’ as in ‘Delhi Shops and Commercial Establishments Act ‘ which is so employee friendly.

-----“I have offer letter from another company. New company wants my joining immediately otherwise they can hire another candidate.”

The next employer should be taken into confidence by you or they may under influence of some information, BGV, complaint may not stand by you and you may be out of employment.

----“ HR is trying to retain me through this kind of activity.’

An allegation has been made, investigation is said to be on and now you are no better for them.

If you stay you can participate and may come out clean in investigation.

The company has to follow standing orders to it on such matters also.

---You may find many other threads as relevant e.g;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Resignation--446881.asp#.UtrCUNK6aXY

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Left-job-without-serving-notice-period-any-legal-action--447186.asp#.Utq6_tK6aXY

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Harassment-by-employer-447551.asp#.UtrBBdK6aXY

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Need-to-understand-the-notice-period-law-95837.asp#.UtrBXtK6aXY

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/not-serving-notice-period--447391.asp#.UtrBg9K6aXY

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Service-law-447901.asp#.Ut1QY9K6aXY

Let the opinion of your lawyer’s that has seen all of your docs and has analyzed your inputs and merits be final and you may after understanding the merits and remedies proceed under expert opinion of your lawyer.

darshan (Territory Manager)     21 January 2014

Thanks for the suggestions, and informations Sir.

I have not done any thing wrong during my working tenure. Company unneccesarily trying to show my involvement in wrong things which i have not done. I am working as a Territory manger. I am handling a team of off- roll advisors, and off roll CDAs. There is one free look case. It is a genuine free look case. Customer had invested 10 lakhs with us. Customer is a class one officer in Supreme court. He needed 4 lakh rupees that's why he withdrew that amount mentioning that he needs money. My RM wanted to retain that case that's why he was forcing me. He abused me also. I resigned becasue i can not do wrong things like my bosses are doing in Delhi. They himself involved in wrong practices. He forcefully resigned one more employee in the last month. 

They don't want me to join another company. They want to ruin my career. They want to show my involvement in wrong things which i have not done.

i am completely upset. Please provide solution otherwise i will lose my new job also...

Thanks...

darshan (Territory Manager)     21 January 2014

I want to become member of any Trade Union as ap. Please suggest any Trade union in Delhi for Life insurance employees. Please suggest a good labour consultant in Gurgaon/Delhi.

Thanks..

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 January 2014

You have posted that:

-----“I am working as a Territory manger. I am handling a team of off- roll advisors, and off roll CDAs.

You should get covered as ‘Workman’......................as in ID Act and also as ‘Employee’ as in ‘Delhi Shops and Commercial Establishments Act 

However since company has already informed you on investigation, the first thing you should do is consult elders in the family and along with elders approach a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer at your location and let any communication now be structured by your lawyer.

----“There is one free look case. It is a genuine free look case. Customer had invested 10 lakhs with us. Customer is a class one officer in Supreme court. He needed 4 lakh rupees that's why he withdrew that amount mentioning that he needs money.’

The right of FLC is given IRDA to customers. The company may adjust adverse movement of NAV if it is ULIP, Meical Examination charges, stamp duty.

You may go thru: Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (Protection of Policyholders’ Interests) Regulations, 2002

However companies assume that it was a false sale.

Get hold of customer’s declaration that he needs money.

----“ My RM wanted to retain that case that's why he was forcing me. He abused me also. “

Record these episodes (audio/Visual).

----“ I resigned becasue i can not do wrong things like my bosses are doing in Delhi. They himself involved in wrong practices. “

They want to show my involvement in wrong things which i have not done.”

Collect evidence. Falsification of record is offence.

You can succeed in criminal defamation, intimidation, discriminatory retaliation..................

A competent lawyer handling criminal cases can help and guide you.

----“ He forcefully resigned one more employee in the last month. ‘

All affected employees may join hands.

Forced resignation is offence. His lawyer may opine that a police/criminal complaint can be lodged.

-----“ I want to become member of any Trade Union as ap.”

Check your PM.

IN some cases the Unit/Territory Manager of private Life insurance companies have been declared as ‘Workman’ as in ID Act.

Once we know the name of your company we may be in a position to provide more details. YOU may not disclose the name of this MNC in this thread.

If suitable to you may send the PM.

----“ Please suggest a good labour consultant in Gurgaon/Delhi.”

If you wish to avail the services of LCI lawyer you can conduct search at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/lawyers_search/#.Ut6eY9K6aXY

The list of related lawyers is being flasshed by LCI on the bottom of this thread.

YOU can call and chat with Pro lawyers of LCI.

Many of the senior experts of LCI are from Delhi.

Your near and dear ones can also guide you a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer.

----“ I want to become member of any Trade Union as ap. Please suggest any Trade union in Delhi for Life insurance employees.”

Contact details of One such union in other state is being sent to you by PM.

You may check for Delhi with them.

In the mean time you may become member of a Trade Union and pay fee and obtain receipt and membership ID.

7 people only are required to form union.

There are thousands and lacs of exploited and harassed employees of Private Insurance Companies. The Trade Unions of Govt. insurance companies ( Life/Non Life) may not affiliate with employees of Private Insurance Companies.

For long term relief employees of Private Insurance Companies may form their own union at Delhi.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     23 January 2014

I believe that Mr Kumar Doab has well eleborated.

Have you read constitution of India Part-III, better read the same.

It is (I understand) a non-Govt company and do not have any power to reject resignation.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register