LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

g.sankar (n-a)     18 August 2013

Matrimonial columns in news papers

EVERY READER MUST HAVE SEEN MATRIMONIAL COLUMNS IN LEADING NEWSPAPERS,i.e. THE TELEGRAPH..etc.  

YOU MUST HAVE NOTICED WORDS LIKE  BRAHMIN, UPPER CASTE, LOWER CASTE,,VAIDYA,KAYASTH,,IN THE ADVERTISEMENTS  ,ACCORDING TO THE ADVERTISERS CHOICE.

CAN MEDIA PUBLISH SUCH DISCRIMINATING ADS IN A SOCIETY RULED BY ONE CONSTITUTION OF INDIA.

THERE MAY NOT BE ANY LAW OR RULE TO STOP THE MEDIA FROM PUBLISHING SUCH ADS.BUT ARE THEY WORKING ACCORDING TO THE ESSENCE OF OUR CONSTITUTION, RIGHT TO EQUALITY?

GOVERNMENTS ARE ENCOURAGING INTRACASTE MARRIAGES,,OFTEN WE WITNESS INTRA RELIGION   MARRIAGES.    IN INDIA.   

Learning

5 Replies

NGOKC (pm)     18 August 2013

shankar this is not discrimination

Marrying in ur own caste or seeking a person from own community is not discrimination but personal choice which is also protected by law

It is also scientific as people prefer to spend life in an environment where customs are similar surroundings similar

1 Like

g.sankar (n-a)     18 August 2013

BUT DONT THEY ADVOCATE CASTISM..RACIESM?

Ranee....... (NA)     18 August 2013

i too feel so.But still marriage is a personal matter.

NGOKC (pm)     19 August 2013

true but Govt and constitution gives you a right to practice your faith your religion .

Provisions of constitution are to ensure that there is no unjust dicrimination in dispersal of public resources or to ensure that someone is not just unjustly humilated based on caste.

None of advertisments in matrimonial say something adversely against a caste they are following spirit of constitution they do not hurt someone.

Advertisement does not mean parents are forcing their wards to marry in particular community. If wards had a preference or were in love with someone constitution protects their rights.

Fact is when you go looking for a life partner , you look in a sub group to which you can associate yourself in terms of thought proceess and way of life. Example 40 % of matri arguments occur on customs, if you marry in own fcommunity similar customs and festivals, in which case custom won't seem odd to either party giving additional custom in marriage.

Matri search is like a google search in a pool of 1 billion people sure people will apply search filters.

My daughter or my son is not a resource in which someone can come and claim a quota in name of equality.

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     25 August 2013

such ads are not derogatory.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register