Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     09 October 2007

Maternity Benefit Act, 1961

[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][color=#1f1a17]
[/color][/font]

Learning

3 Replies

purshottamsaini (n/a)     15 October 2007

[user=2]yedhulaprakash[/user] wrote: "[font=""TimesNewRoman,Bold""][color=""#1f1a17""]
[/color][/font]
"
Hello Mr. Prakash

Can u provide me copy of notification regarding recent change in ""Maternity Leaves""
under Maternity Banefits Act.

If you have, then, please mail me on purshottamsaini@gmai.com

thanks and regards,

Purshottam Saini

Shambasiv (n/a)     16 October 2007

[align=justify][font=""Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif""]Hello, [/font][/align]
[align=justify][font=Arial]Megna Naidu has posted this answer to your query in General Section:[/font][/align]
[align=justify][font=""Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif""]The maximum period for which any woman shall be entitled to maternity benefit shall be 12 weeks in all whether taken before or after childbirth. However she cannot take more than six weeks before her expected delivery.[/font]

[font=""Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif""]Prior to the amendment of 1989, a woman employee could not avail of the six weeksΓÇÖ leave preceding the date of her delivery; she was entitled to only six weeks leave following the day of her delivery. However, by the above amendment, the position has changed. Now, in case a woman employee does not avail of six weeksΓÇÖ leave preceding the date of her delivery, she can avail of that leave following her delivery, provided the total leave period, i.e. preceding and following the day of her delivery does not exceed 12 weeks.[/font][/align]

dkm_2k (n/a)     26 December 2007

Mr Prakash

My wife is being advised rest by doctor after every month's investigations and diagnosis and on account of complications that my wife suffers. The employer wants a single long duration leave application which the doctor says she cannot give as she cannot envisage the condition so much in advance. She has completed 1.25 Years of service in the company and is not willingly staying at home. She sends the certificate of doctor asking for approval of leaves. The employer is shirking in giving leave (even with loss of pay). Please advise what clauses of the act are applicable and what shall we do to avoid legal complication.

The reply can be emailed to dkm_2k@yahoo.com as well.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register