LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ragz hyder (PM)     26 December 2016

Marriage in usa

Might be planning to marry in USA with another Indian. Both of us are Indian Citizens on H1B. Marraige will be registered in USstate only.

Having been through a divorce once and been through hell with 498A and all. I want to take every precaution possible.

Can you'll help guide what steps I can take as precautions? List of gifts if any, no dowry affidavit and all.

Most importantly will the Indian marriage laws and 498A be applicable even if Marriage is NOT registered in India? I never took or intend to take dowry but want to be on lookout for false cases.

Learning

4 Replies

whatnot   26 December 2016

Since you will be marrying in USA, there exists a pre nuptial agreement which could be signed by both parties. But it does raise ethical questions as trusting your partner and so on. and might be novel idea to an Indian family and hence may back out. Also you have to declare asset you both own. So be careful what you wish for.

Abide by USA marriage law and don't register the marriage with Indian consulate. Keep anything related to marriage and hence forth within US laws (including children birth and so on).

All above applicable if it is a civil union and If you're planning Sharia law then things would change.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : ragz hyder
Might be planning to marry in USA with another Indian. Both of us are Indian Citizens on H1B. Marraige will be registered in USstate only.

Having been through a divorce once and been through hell with 498A and all. I want to take every precaution possible.

Can you'll help guide what steps I can take as precautions? List of gifts if any, no dowry affidavit and all.

Most importantly will the Indian marriage laws and 498A be applicable even if Marriage is NOT registered in India? I never took or intend to take dowry but want to be on lookout for false cases.

If your marry in USA, laws of that country apply.  Though your lovely wife can come back to India and file many cases on you like what you have experienced before.

Marriage looks good once, divorce looks good also only once.  Second tiem marriage also does not look good, divorce dont look good at all.

So think before you ink this time.  You are in USA, marriage these days wont last a day, go for live in relationship.  See how it goes, if everything goes well, keep marriage at a later date when you both are comfortable say after 4 years, it will only give depth of understanding to your relationship rather than simply tying a mangalsutra and running behind courts.

layer   27 December 2016

Sign aggreement with your wife that

a.if your wife files false case, she will give 50 lacs to you even in case of acquitted.

b. No alimony will be asked from you

c. kid will be 50-50 custody

d. all cases will be subject to USA judistriction. She and her parents will not file case in India. They will be subjected to USA laws

(Guest)

Marriage, for that any relationship stands on trust.  Whats the point in getting into agreements and roam to court, here or abroad when there is no trust only, whats the point in getting into any relationship?  Find out of the woman has conscience, if she has, then that will solve most of the problems that you both may face in the future.  Before that you ask yourself whether you have conscience?  Without that no point in getting into any relationship at all.  That is what moral life is all about. Isnt it?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register