LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Animesh (NA)     14 May 2013

Liabilities of a referee in personal loan

Hi Friends I have been unknowingly used as a personal reference on a loan application for neighbour of mine and that person has not paid back the personal loan that he has taken from HDFC. Now the HDFC people are calling me(called me already three times) asking me to contact this person and have him call them. I went out of town and could not call this person and neither i want to get in this mess. The loan company says that if I cannot get this individual to pay them back, that they will take him to court and I will have to appear in court to verify who he is. I consider the continual phone calls to be harrassment and believe that this individual's financial circumstances are none of my business. Can i refuse to help these guys.What are my rights and obligations in this situation?Will this affect my Credit Report/CIBIL in any ways.

Learning

5 Replies

SRISHAILA.DHARANI (Advocate&consultant)     14 May 2013

File a complaint of harrssment near to your police station , agaisnt the bank, since they are not supposed to call you like this.

your credit score will not be affected, due to this.Dont worry.

srishaila,advocate,bangalore,9741425514,sdharani120@gmail.com

1 Like

Animesh (NA)     14 May 2013

Thank you so much for your response, that makes me a little releived. I was tensed due to their calls. I will definately take an action against them

Kumar Doab (FIN)     14 May 2013

It appears that you have not vouched for this borrower, have not signed any document, and the bank personnel have not met you before passing the loan.

From many of the threads at many portals we are constrained to surmise that this bank HDFC is a habitual offender and has been refusing to reform despite having been penalized and punished by courts of law it continues to commit same offence.

You may record these calls and let the person speak that you shall be pulled to court of law.

You may write to its MD, Aditya Puri

aditya.puri@hadfcbank.com

that he thru his staff has been engaged in coercion, threats, criminal intimidation, and has been applying derogatory phrases and causing defamation which is unpardonable.

And that you have decided to file criminal complaint (which you may file) and Puri shall be charged by name if he and his bank does not beg apology in writing in next say……..2 days by letter under his original seal and signature by hand………..and that you are contemplating to approach the institutions of print and electronic media, police, courts of law, NGO’s, regulator, social-public portal, lawyer/law firm, community leaders,  at their cost and consequences………

You may also lodge a complaint with:

Smt. Uma Subramaniam
Chief General Manager -in-Charge
Department of Non-Banking Supervision
Central Office
Centre I, World Trade Centre, Cuffe Parade
Mumbai-400 005.

Phone: 022-22153350

Email id: cgmicdnbsco@rbi.org.in

. D Subbarao
Governor
Reserve Bank of India
Central Office Building
18th Floor, Shahid Bhagat Singh Road
Mumbai-400 001.

022-22660868

governor@rbi.org.in

1 Like

Animesh (NA)     15 May 2013

Thanks Kumar Doab. That is a really helpful information . I am glad to have posted this here and got your help.

Thanks Once Again

Rajesh (IT developer)     27 March 2014

Hi Friends I have been unknowingly used as a personal reference on a loan application for neighbour of mine and that person has not paid back the personal loan that he has taken from AXIS. Now the AXIS people are calling me(called me already three times) asking me to contact this person and have him call them. The loan company says that if I cannot get this individual to pay them back, that they will take him to court and I will have to appear in court to verify who he is. I consider the continual phone calls to be harrassment and believe that this individual's financial circumstances are none of my business. Can i refuse to help these guys.What are my rights and obligations in this situation?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register