Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

DAYA SAGAR (a)     25 July 2014

Legal heirship

hi

i have to claim PF & other benefits of my sister who was divorced & was living with me. she was doing job as lecturer in punjab govt school. As per my knowledge she has nominated me for her PF  & other things. But the school authorities are saying that she has not made any nominations. i applied for legal heir in District Commissioner office but they refused saying that brother  cannot be legal heir of  sister. 

Can anyone tell me how can i claim her PF & other benefits...??????

Learning

6 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     25 July 2014

The DC office is right. Your applied procedure in the DC Office was wrong application of mind from a legal advice you then received is my view.

Nominee
is merely a trustee, not the owner. He/she may temporarily possess the money, but will have to hand it over to the legal heir when the situation arises.

In your case since your sister was a divorcee there is no question of her having husband or his parents claiming the succession certificate, but you are capable of doing so only as heirs of your father or mother.

If your father or mother is still alive they being the legal heir can get this succession certificate and you get only if they are not alive and there is no other legal heir of your father or mother as the case may be to seek the succession certificate along with you.

Also if she has child out of the previous wedlock the minor is/are also heir in succession certificate. 

DAYA SAGAR (a)     25 July 2014

Thanks for your reply

As our father & mother are not alive & also she was not having any child, i attached all the proofs with application, i.e. death certificate of father,mother & divorce papers of sister. In this situation nobody other is there to claim her money ,is there anything in hindu sucession act that brother canot be legal heir of sister..??

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     25 July 2014

Based on your second inputs, you are legal heir. 

S. 15 r/w S. 16 of HSA, 1956 squarely applies in your brief. Approach Jurisdiction Court for succession certificate attaching relevant annexures instead of DC Office since father and mother are also not alive nor interstate Hindu female (sister) left behind any minor child. 

DAYA SAGAR (a)     05 August 2014

DC office has given the reference of service rules 16.6(b) & has stated that brother does not come under the definition of family.If i  approach jurisdiction court for succession certificate, will my petition be opposed by the court lawyer there?

Secondly there are two types of funds

1.pf contribution & gis

2.gratuity Ex gratia & leave encashment

Does different rules apply for them As in PF & GIS i am the nominee.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     06 August 2014

Approach Court to issue direction to organisation to release funds as advised earlier. There are no different Rules for nature of funds. It is your legal heirship Rights. 

[Last reply]

DAYA SAGAR (a)     19 August 2014

I contacted a lawyer in my town to file case , but he is saying that i am not entitled for gratuity.As per him I gratuity is linked with family pension & family pension is given only to dependent person. therefore I should not include gratuity amount in the claiming funds.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register