Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Madhu Amarnath (Assistant Professor)     28 November 2014

Legal heir certificate

Hello,

My father expired last month (October 27, 2014) . We are from Chennai. He was a retired employee of a public sector bank and was receiving pension. I need to transfer BSNL landline connection, which is in my father's name,  to my name. We need to transfer all other things to my mother's name (Gas connection, house property etc.). Do we need legal heirship certificate for that? Whether a single legal heirship certificate is enough or we need to get legal heirship certificate for each purpose separately?

For pension transfer, bank deposits, insurance and MFs, he has nominated my mother's name. So, I guess legal heirship certificate is not needed in that cases. The legal heirs of my father are his wife (my mother), son (myself) and a married daughter (my sister). 

Please enlighten on these issues.

Learning

1 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     30 November 2014

1)In case of accounts where a nomination is made the Bank's job is to transfer the funds to the nominee. However, the nominee keeps them in "trust" for the legal heir(s). Generally, this causes no problems but to be safe the remaining legal heirs ( except the one to which the funds are to be transferred ) can sign an affidavit waiving off their claims on such accounts.

2) For other matters you need a " Succession Certificate " to begin with. This puts together all the legal heirs and is to be taken from the local DM / Tehsildar. Once you have that, the gas connection / property as the case may be , can be transferred to the heir it is meant for by the other heirs waiving off their rights via affidavits before the concerned authorities as required.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register