LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kia AR (Intern)     09 April 2012

Landlord refusing to return security deposit of rs2lacs

hello. i rented an apt in mangalore for rs13000 pm for 4 and a half year. i recently moved out and have already informed the landlord a mth prior. but till few days b4 i vacate he started to avoid my calls n even turned off his phone when i wanted to ask for the deposit money. he stays in bangalore.

he only texted once 2 days b4 we leave saying he'd come but never show up. he even asked us to give keys to the apt secretary and then he'll "deposit the money after taking a look" at the apt.

we have lease agreement but unfortunately it was only for 52 months and already expired around july/august last year and never renewed. the security deposit is mentioned in the agreement. pls advice on what should be done to get my rs200000 back. tqvm.

Learning

4 Replies

Dipankar Ghosh (N/A)     09 April 2012

Non- renewal of your agreement doesnot put you in the shoes of an illegal occupant.... if you were paying the rent and if you are having the rent receipts then its enough for the deemed acceptance of renewal of the agreement.... just by reading your above quarry ... it seems that you have a chance of filing a suit for specific performance of the contract and recover the money ..... but do consult a lawyer with all your documents ....

Kia AR (Intern)     12 April 2012

thank you for ur reply.. if i wanna file for a suit how long its gonna take for the whole thing to be over with? coz the problem is the 4 of us who rented the apt are malaysians. 2 of us are already back in malaysia and the other 2 are still in india and going to leave there within less than a year. is there any other legal way that we can deal with this problem like a police report or something? tq.

Dipankar Ghosh (N/A)     12 April 2012

If suit for specific performance is filed then minimum 2 yrs.... You cannot predict the time limit.

Deepak jain (Engineer)     16 September 2012

I too am a victim of the Deposit return fraud. The house deposit has not been returned by the Apartment owner. Despite several reminders and personal visits, all I have receieved is false promises of returning and bluffs. He even gave me a cheque, which has bounced twice, does not pick up my calls. When I visit him personally he avoids me and tells his son or wife to tell me that he is not at home and i should not worry about deposit, he will pay it soon, everytime i visit.

This i got even after respecting him like my own Uncle and use to touch his parents feet with respect to seek their blessings on every festivals, typical north indian idiotic traits of respecting elders. They invited us on occasions too. The greed took them over when it came to returning the house rental deposit. SO disappointing to be cheated after 5 years of remaining in their house. 

Am thinking of filing a complaint against the landlord. 

Apartment name :
AkkyAmma Ramaiah Reddy Residency,
1/1, First Cross, Balaji nagar,
SG Palya, Bangalore, karnataka

Landmark: Near Taverekere Road, Lakshmi theatre
Landlord's name : Baloo Reddy & his wife Aparna Reddy

He is a local politician, an Ex-corporator. Do not know how come people elected him.

In fact, he has not returned deposit for several of his tenants, especially bachelors or people from north, as he knows they would not remain in this city forever and will not have the patience to pursue a legal case, which usually takes a few years.

Noteone lesson i learned is before leaving apartment get your refund in cash or Demand draft. Do not rely/trust on any kind of promises, no matter how freindly the landlord sounds or what kind of relations you may have.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register