Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ank (na)     20 September 2014

Landlord not giving the full deposit back

Background points:

- I had rented a flat beginning June where rent was mentioned to be 40k (shared by 2) and deposit of 1,50,000 (shared by 2)

- When we went to create the agreement owner showed an older agreement which was prepared again to be signed by us - but indicated rent only as 20k, I mentioned that was not acceptable if they are charging 40k.

- Because of my workload I asked the landlord I would be willing to continue to stay - with the 20k rent agreement only if they give me a rent receipt at least for 20k to me. They agreed

- It has been 4 months since and No agreement has been prepared by the landlord

- I have photos of the old agreement and a photocopy - it just mentions a notice period of one month to be give if tenant is vacating (nothing else mentioned)

Current dispute:

- I have given a full 1 month notice to the owner end of august because of my transfer, so I had requested the deposit to be refunded after deducting Sep rent as I had not paid that till then (Or full refund if I pay sep rent)

- But the owner is refusing to pay back the full amount but only 35k stating you are leaving within 6 months so they will deduct additional month rent. (there is no such mention in the agreement). After I argued for a long time they mentioned to deduct 30k which I still feel is unfair, as I have given full one month notice and have never created any issues/concerns during my entire stay.

Now since they have not prepared the agreement, in absence of that how can I get the full deposit back. I have the photocopy of the older rent agreement which was shown to us, original owner is saying they have lost it :S.

I don't see any other option but to lodge a police complaint (should I contact a lawyer ?).

Please advise.

Ank

*Owner has not prepared the agreement /

I don't think any police verification was done (I thought that's required in Mumbai) /

They are charging higher rent but not accepting to put it down on agreement (that's also illegal right ?)

Learning

1 Replies

ROHIT SHARMA (Legal Advisor )     20 September 2014

1. Yes, you can file police complaint against him for his act of cheating and inducing you to part with your money which act is punishable u/s 420 of I.P.C.  The fact that the landlord has evaded the mandatory  police notification and has not given you any receipt or has made any agreement and has allowed you to as a tenant  he is guilty of such offense of cheating. The police may take notice of the landlord's violation of police notification and can be hauled up for such a breach.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register