LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul (None)     16 February 2015

It department demanding penalty on already filed taxes

I had filed my income tax for FY 202-13 properly on July 30 2013 and also got a response.  At that time, I had owed some taxes which were properly paid. For reasons that I do not understand , my tax consultant filed the taxes again in Janury 2014. This time of course , no taxes were paid by me because I didn't owe any.

The income tax department then sent a notice to me. In that notice, it was assumed that the FIRST time the taxes were filed was in January 2014. And that the FIRST time the taxes was paid was in January 2014 (I had paid that in July 2013 as stated above).

Now they want me to pay the interest on the taxes owed from July 30 2013 to January 2014. My tax consultant filed a rectification request. The income tax department responded by sending the same letter. They added more penalty as the duration had increased.  Now my tax consultant has given up.

I am being made liable for a hefty amount for no reason. I have al etter prepared to explain to income tax authorities the faux paus but I doubt anyone is going to take a look at that. What else can I do.

For reasons that I don't understand, the jurisdiction of my income tax return is at my birthplace which I left 20 years ago and no longer visit. So it will be difficult for me to go and try to meet someone in person.

But if push comes to shove, I am willing to go there. Please advise if there is any way to deal with this

Learning

1 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     17 February 2015

Please call CA Karan at 9871563826 ....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register