Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ajay Kumar (Other)     28 November 2015

Is threatening to kill a criminal offence ?

Over a trivial argument with a neighbor yesterday, he threatened by saying that " I will kill you". 

He said this multiple times, and was about to hit me. I retaliated by trying to dial the police number, which was the only reason that stopped  him from hitting me.

Can I file a criminal case against him at the police station for this threat to kill me? Is threatening to kill someone, a criminal offence?

Please advice. Thanks.

Learning

6 Replies

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     28 November 2015

YES, IT IS COVERED UNDER CRIMINAL INTIMIDATION, FIRST TRY TO RESPVE ISSUE BY SENDING A LEGAL NOTICE

Regards,

Adv. Nitish Banka

1 Like

Adv. Yogen Kakade (+ 91 9225510883)     28 November 2015

Hi,

Threatening to kill someone is a serious crime and it is certainly cognizable.

You can directly file a complaint at the police station against the same and file case u.s. 506 of IPC.

Adv. Yogen Kakade

Jurycon Incorporation

Advocates & Consultants
Email: juryconincorporation@gmail.com
Web: www.juryconn.in  

1 Like

Ajay Kumar (Other)     28 November 2015

Thanks for your responses.  One issue that I see is that I don't have any proof - since it was just two of us when the argument took place in the basement late last night.

Will this be an issue? Or, does one need proof/witness to file a police complaint?

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     28 November 2015

Though I support the views of Juryconcorporation,just an argument and a threat between 2 persons without valid evidence is no value in the eyes of law.

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 November 2015

for such loike allegations like threatening/abusing etc none will give a written proof. your evidenc eand evidence of thos present shall be sufficient.

1 Like

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     01 February 2016

If there is evidence and witness to the alleged threat then the complaint is legally main tenable.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register