LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gopirathinam   11 August 2018

Intercaste marriage - Legal advice

I married a girl from a different caste on 25th June 2018. I had my parents' consent and my dad attended our marriage. The girl didnt have proof of age in original and we could not register our marriage without original documents. Now that her parents have abducted the girl and taken custody of my wife, how can I handle this legally?

Learning

7 Replies

(Guest)

Contact local police.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     12 August 2018

It is their burden to establish that she is minor.

Original documents are not necessary for registration of marriage.

You can ask her to seek such information from school, voter card, AADHAR, or if her younger siblings are there it is sufficient.

The two issues involved are 1)Registering marriage   2) Facing police complaint.

Gopirathinam   12 August 2018

Thanks for replying. She is 25 years old already and we have her Aadhar. But tamilnadu marriage registration act passed on 2009 demands marksheets for proof of age. It doesnt consider Aadhar as proof of age. I married her in a marriage hall near a temple and i have a receipt for that. I have photos of my marriage. Can i file a complaint with these documents or do I need registration certificate? If the case goes to court will our marriage be considered legal or will the court dissolve my marraige?

Adv Deepak Joshi +917017821512 (Advocate)     12 August 2018

Dear querist,

Please check with Sub register office about registration process, if your contention as accepted in full then uneducated persons will never get marriage certificate.

Your marriage is valid court cannot  dissolve your marriage for not having marriage registered.

Gopirathinam   12 August 2018

Thanks for your advice

Aks   15 August 2018

Gopi...man O man....Do your duty and leave the result to God.  Go file a police report with whatever damn documents you have and give details in writing to the Police.

If Ram can fight a War with mighty Rawan for his beloved wife ...why you can not fight a court battle with your wife's abductors.

Just sitting and playing your flute will not work....get off your butt...go file police report...take a deep breath and plan a strategy to take back control of your life and of course ..your wife...  

If two adults want to love and live together...even God Brahma can not stop them.  All you need is courage !

Gopirathinam   15 August 2018

Thank you Aks for your encouraging reply. I filed a complaint with local police and have given them my marriage photos and marriage certificate given by marriage hall. I think I have a setback in handling this legally. I took my wife for a counselling with a psychiatrist on June 3 2018 (22 days before we married)since she was feeling depressed. Her parents know this. Can they defend that i married my wife when she was mentally unstable? If they take up this point how should I defend that?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register