LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ram7sr (Sales)     10 January 2014

Indian citizenship

I am a Srilankan refugee. My family is in Srilankan refugee camp in Krishnagiri District, Tamilnadu for 23 years. We came India in 1990, at Rameshwaram.

My Father’s family was Indian nationality upto his Grandfather’s period. They were in Tiruvannamalai district in Tamilnadu. My father’s Grandfather emigrated to Srilanka. My father and my Grandfather were born in Srilanka itself. But they don’t have Srilankan Citizenship till now. They were mentioned as Indian origin in Srilanka.

But my mother’s family doesn’t have any connection with Srilanka except my mother and Grandfather. My Grandfather was in Indian military before the freedom of India. My mother born on December, 1951 in Tuticorin district, Tamilnadu. In 1953, my Grandfather emigrated to Srilanka with my mother. They are also don’t have citizenship in Srilanka.

My mother and father got married in Srilanka. In February-1985, they came first time as refugees and I was born on August-1985, in Tuticorin, Tamilnadu. In 1988 they returned Srilanka and after two years, in 1990 they came again as refugees.

But my Grandfather came to India in 1998, he continued his citizenship rights, like military pension and every other concessions. Before two years he died. My Grandmother also died before 7 years. My mother is only daughter of my Grandfather.

But my condition is very bad. I have completed MBA. Working as a sales representative. I have been neglected from some job opportunities because of I don’t have any valid ID proof, and in my certificates nationality is mentioned as Srilankan refugee. We cannot get even a sim card with our own name.

So, please clear my doubt.

Can I get the Indian citizenship?

If it is possible what is the procedure. What should I do? How long it will take?

I have all records except my mother’s birth certificate. Before 10 years I have approached two times, my district collector and the rehabilitation ministry respectively for citizenship. But I got same reply. “As you are a Srilankan refugee you cannot get Indian citizenship”.

I saw Indian citizenship ministry website. But there is no link for acquiring citizenship by birth. Only Section 4, 5 and 6 are there.

Please help me.

Learning

1 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     14 December 2022

have you applied?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register