Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kumar (REal Estate)     17 September 2008

I will Donate Rs.1 Crore for filing PIL.

Dear Respected Lawyers/Advocates,

I would like to indroduce myself as a father of an aspiring Lawyer. I am NP Kumar. I am doing Real Estate business for last 40 years in NOIDA and by God's grace, owning assets worth crores and crores of rupees. My only son is NPK Rajeev. I have utmost respect for Lawyers, so I joined my son in a Law College. In 2006, while he was studying 2nd year of Law, this unfortunate incident happened.

Learning

51 Replies

In March 2006, one police came to my house. He said a minor case has been booked against my son under section 67 of IT Act. He said that the offence was that Rajeev had send objectionable photo emails to his friends, one of whom had given the complaint. Police wanted to get statement from my son. Rajeev too accepted the fault and gave statement that he had sent it for fun. Immediately he was arrested and taken to jail. When I approached my lawyers, they said the punishment for section 67 of IT act is upto 10 years. News about my son's arrest came in local media. I took out my son in bail after 3 days. He was very upset. I too was very angry with him. But the very same day night, he committed suicide. I was devastated by losing my only child because of this brutal Information Technology ACT 2000.

Then I spent the next 2 years in knowing what this brutal section 67 of IT act is. I travelled to 14 cities in India and met the people booked under Information Technology Act. I found that 99% of the youth booked under this act are from middle class families and their careers are ruined by this Act. I also found that most of the cases are booked only as a revenge act for some other disputes in the past. The information Technology Act which was formed to punish big offences like bank frauds, email frauds, patent frauds, piracy, terror emails etc are not being interogated. But innocent young people are booked under section 67 and their life is ruined.

Amendments are planned to be brought. This proves that the Original Information Technology ACT 2000, is not correct. I am planning to file PIL in court to ban the IT ACT 2000. But I was adviced by my friends that since my son was booked under IT ACT 2000, I should take his case as base for my arguments and there  would be lot of complications and PIL would be ineffective at last.

With utmost respect to Advocates and for my son's soul to rest in peace, I will immediately donate Rs.1 Crore to any lawyer/advocate filing PIL in court  to Ban Information Technology ACt 2000. I will definately keep my promise.

With utmost respect,

NP Kumar.

Rajesh Kumar (Advocate)     17 September 2008

Dear Shri Kumar,

I am really sorry to hear about your son. And you are very correct in your aspproach towards abuse of these laws.

The PIL idea mooted by you is very good.

However, dont do this donation thing. This way you will attarct opportunity seekers and the real message will be lost.

What is required for PIL is meticulous research as how many cases has been filed, who are the accuseds, how the law is being administered, effect on the masses, whether the law is serving its purposes etc. Side by side a campaign for public opinion shoudl be launched in media, web, parliament etc. Off course all these things will require some money, which you can arrange. I am sure with your determination, you can bring the required changes.

You have all my wishes. We all are with you.

Dear Shri Kumar,

I am really sorry to hear about your son. And you are very correct in your aspproach towards abuse of these laws.

However, dont do this donation thing. This way you will attarct opportunity seekers and the real message will be lost.

What is required for PIL is meticulous research as how many cases has been filed, who are the accuseds, how the law is being administered, effect on the masses, whether the law is serving its purposes etc. Side by side a campaign for public opinion shoudl be launched in media, web, parliament etc. Off course all these things will require some money, which you can arrange. I am sure with your determination, you can bring the required changes.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     17 September 2008

Dear Kumar,

I really symapathise you and your unfortunate son, and as Rajesh has correctly pointed out, there is no need to donate rather take things cooly. I am of the view that  there aremany  things to be sorted out in in this act and correct in proper perspective. IT Act are new kind of legislation and l  sincerely feel that before legislation various views should have been taken and considered inspite of rushing into it, just because others have legislate on it. However, there are many who are working on it and  I am sure things will be sorted out soon.

Rajesh, its time to make a research as to how many unfortunate people are in the net of ITA, as the law can also be misuse by the powerful and the strong against the weak and also as a way of revenge through what ever means one can employed, and finally this ITA can turn out to be Frankenstein piece of legislation.

sangram (service)     17 September 2008

I am as a law graduate feel very sad about whatever happened in Mr. Kumar's life.

but it is not due to the Act. in my view  the punishment they are mentioned is only for the habitual criminals, and for serious nature acts , if the case is registered for first time, and the act is of without motive the court may not award punishment.

Hence we should wait for results in such cases.

Regards,

Sangram 

yes, that is what we are harping on it, as law can not be some sort of blind writing on the wall and say, there you are my dear, and put behind the cell.

mohammad aarif khan silawat (lawyer)     17 September 2008

Dear Shri Kumar,

Indian legislature makes laws, makes various provisions to harass the citizens but fails to make any provision to redress the plight of innocent accuseds. Such laws, by nature are prone to be misused.

A law, which does not make adequate provision to safeguard against misuse must be declared arbitrary and unreasonable and should be quashed as violative of Article 14 of the Constitution of India.

mohammad aarif khan silawat (lawyer)     17 September 2008

my dear sir

lose of one man lose of  all humanty

any law of this country  failed to give justice

that law should be change

Aarif Khan

Advocate

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register