LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     01 June 2012

I-t department forms lawyer teams to fight black money cases

The Income Tax department has initiated a special country-wide exercise to engage a battery of lawyers for fighting black money cases and filing prosecution in a host of other tax evasion cases. Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, in his white paper on black money tabled during the recently concluded Parliament session, had said that “to facilitate the launch of prosecution in cases of evasion of taxes and speedy trial and early conclusion, provisions for constitution of special courts, summons trials, and appointment of public prosecutors have been included” as part of the multi-pronged strategy to combat the menace.

The department, on directions of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), has issued fresh guidelines for hiring counsels for presenting revenue cases at the High Courts, lower courts and other judicial forums like Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT) and the Settlement Commission.

Government’s top law officers and Attorneys represent the department at the Supreme Court in cases of appeals or Special Leave Petitions (SLPs) like that in the Vodafone tax case.

More than 50 high-value cases of illegal assets abroad have already been filed by the I-T in various courts for prosecution and many more are in the offing.

The fresh CBDT orders not only stipulate to conduct a screening and aptitude test for the existing senior and junior counsels of the department, but also mandates that the fresh aspirants’ expertise in handling direct tax matters and aptitude for interpretation and suitability to represent I-T cases will be an essential criteria for empanelment.

I-T’s new unit Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI) was specially created last year for filing prosecution complaints in courts “under any direct tax law relating to a criminal activity” which includes those cases where illegal wealth of Indians was found to have been stashed abroad.

Learning

1 Replies

R.V.RAO (retired)     27 February 2014

it is good news.

more than a year back,some websites and even media have  reported names of people who got wealth accumulated outside india.the nation is concerned and wishes to know what is done by our investigating agencies like IT,DRI,CBI,DCI  etc...?can we the commoners have a status/progress/updates on the same?.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register