LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

harshalx (n/a)     18 December 2007

I need some help with a cease & desist letter

I run a website named goolti.com which reviews Indian Consultancy (body shopping) firms in the US. People who have worked for consultancy firms share their experiences with others on this forum.

I have received a cease and desist notice from a law firm in Pune claiming that the information on the website is damaging to their  reputation and affects their business.

After receiving the notice I removed the comments immediately as I didn't want to get into legal hassles. However, the notice says that I will need to pay Rs 2500 as charges towards the fact that the lawyer had to send this notice in the first place.

Do you guys think that I am liable to pay this money? Before this I was never contacted or warned by this firm regarding the comments on the website. This is the first time they have established communication with me.

Your views on this will be greatly appreciated.

- Regards
Harshal.

Learning

3 Replies

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     18 December 2007

As you have removed the objectionable comment imediately, there is no problem. With regard to the payment of Rs.2,500/-, you need not pay the,. It is for them to sue you in case they are interested in claiming the said amount. Even in such a case, they have to prove the damages caused to them in view of the objectionable post and that is very hard to prove in a court of law.

harshalx (n/a)     18 December 2007

Mr Prakash
Thanks a lot for the reply. That was very helpful.

gigi pramod (n/a)     26 December 2007

yes Mr.Prakash is right. the quantum of damages is to be proved by the firm i.e how did they arrive at the said Rs.2500/-. you are not liable to pay any damages.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register