A husband has ten "obligations" toward his wife (or her descendants) and four "rights" in respect of her.
The "obligations" of a husband are"
(a) to provide her with sustenance or maintenance;
(b) to supply her clothing and lodging;
(c) to cohabit with her;
(d) to provide the sum fixed for the wife by law;
(e) to procure medical attention and care during her illness;
(f) to ransom her if she be taken captive;
(g) to provide suitable burial upon her death;
(h) to provide for her support after his death and ensure her right to live in his house as long as she remains a widow;
(i) to provide for the support of the daughters of the marriage from his estate after his death, until they become betrothed (Marriage) or reach the age of maturity; and
(j) to provide that the sons of the marriage shall inherit their mother's sum fixed for the wife by law, in addition to their rightful portion of the estate of their father shared with his sons.
The husband's "rights" are those entitling him:
(a) to the benefit of his wife's handiwork;
(b) to her chance gains or finds;
(c) to the usufruct of her property; and
(d) to inherit her estate
That is about HINDUISM and HINDU MARRIAGES and walking 7 times around HOLY FIRE are all about!
A wife claiming maintenance from her husband inspite of being working she specifically says it is her "rights". People can never discuss that "rights of maintenance of a wife is not ABSOLUTE and even SC says so". But the moment a husband wants to perform his 10 obligations / seek his 4 rights and or want to give a surprise to her and thus seeks salary of his wife all sorts of questions turns into "FORCE" and no better word a wife specifically uses forgetting she also has certain 'duties' in matrimony.
Some introspection (same will be asked by his lawyer if case goes to floor of a Court of your choice)!
- Did he put a knife on your throat and asked for your salary?
- Did he showed you a toy gun and asked your salary?
- Did he kept calling you for salary and threatening you whole of 24 hrs. once your salary credited into your a/c?
- How did he "force" you to part with your salary each month?
- Is he 'forcing' you each month?
- Are you a minor wife that you were threatened by major age husband to part with your salary?
- Are you not empowered enough not to know your rights and duties being a wife?
- Are you in-capable not to find second husband that in such 'forceful' environment you cannot leave him?
- Does he 'forcefully' take your salary each month? If so then how come you are still commuting to you job without a penny to yourself?
- Have you filed a GD police report about husband's 'forceful' ways to take your salary each month? If not then why not? Why here asking a question? Constitution of India has given you a right to report unlawful "force" by a man (be it your husband) onto a woman (be it so you are his wife) each month and same could have been reported to Authorities?
Suggested to sort your "force" issues internally and or move to natal home and enjoy to yourself your fruits of labor. Why live with a husband who "forces" upon you each month; it is Domestic Violence is it not?
End of all discussions! J