LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

saurav bhattacharya (Sales executive)     12 September 2014

How to get indian citizenship

I am an indian male married to  a bangladeshi hindu girl . my wife with me as she get visa as tourist from indian govt. but i need to know how she can be indian citizen? is it possible or we have to take tourist visa again ?

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)

@saurav,

1. The Central Government may, on an application, register as a citizen of India under section 5 of the Citizenship Act 1955 any person (not being an illegal migrant) if he belongs to any of the following categories:

A) a person of Indian origin who is ordinarily resident in India for five years before making an application for registration;

B) a person of Indian origin who is ordinarily resident in any country or place outside undivided India;

C) a person who is married to a citizen of India and is ordinarily resident in India for seven years before making an application for registration;

So,Till then you have to extend her temporary visa. Even the persons hailing from neighbouring countries like srilanka, bangladesh, bhutan, nepal, pakistan etc. Are not allowed on long extension visa or PIO.

Hence, suggested that she would get for some employment visa of 5 years and again enhance 2 more years for completion of 7 years to fulfill the criteria given U/s 5(1)c of citizenship act 1955.

PS: IF SHE IS HAVING ANY OF HER PARENTS AS INDIAN CITIZEN BEFORE 1987 , THEN SHE COULD ACCQUIRE CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH FOLLOWING THE GUIDELINES GIVEN UNDER CITIZENSHIP AMENDMENT ACT 1986.

ESIS

saurav bhattacharya (Sales executive)     15 September 2014

how can i have 7 years visa for her ? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register