LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Malvika (None)     18 April 2014

Harassment by parent

I have a girl who has been working with me for the past 11 years. Her age right now is 23 years old. Her mother use to work with me initially as well, and everything was good. However last year, her younger sister eloped and married a guy from another religon, whom her mother hates. The case was a very bad mess, as the sister had firsr accused the guy of raping her (since he refused to marry her) and the police left him only on that condition that he has to marry her which he did. The sister has broken all relations with her mother and even filed a police complaint against her.

So ever since that incidence, the mother's family members have been inciting her to get the girl who is working in my house married, but the girl point blank has refused and does not want to keep any relations with her mother as she is abusive and is forcing her into marrige along with her relatives. BTW, she also has a married brother who is estranged from the mother as well, because of her abusive nature.

Anyway, the mother forcibly took the girl to her house, but she ran away on her own and came back, When the girl went to lodge a police complaint against her mother, the mother started play acting at the police station weeping, and wailing (on the advice of her relatives of course), and the police women started siding with the mother saying mothers can never do anything wrong, even though the girl kept on telling them the true story and said she wanted to come with us. It was thanks to the men cops due to which some sanity returned to the women as well that the girl was released to our custody and she signed a statement that she went on her own free will.

The women cop told the girl that she should talk to her mother everyday and come and meet her once a week, plus stay with her once in 15 days, or they will pick her up? Can they actually do that even though the girl is an adult and can make her decisions. Is there any anticipatory legal action that we can take to pre-empt any case fall out or any court order that girl can get restraining her mother or breakway from her legally.

The mother threatened us that she will file false cases against us and put us in jail. She is a big liar and hates my husband and keeps on blaming him for the situation. How do we pre-empt this? Should I get a lawyer?

Learning

2 Replies

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     18 April 2014

The girl is staying with you out of her own free will and a major so according to her own decision she has right to live anywhere. You need not to be worried for.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 April 2014

The girl is a major by age, she has got every right to decide about where to stay and with whom to stay.  Let her mother file any complaint, ask the girl to be stubborn in her decision so that her complaint cannot be entertained by police.   Be in touch with a local lawyer too.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register