Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rohit (mmm)     22 October 2009

Gift Deed vs. Family Settlement

Hi All,

Request you to kindly clarify the following:

1) My mother owns a property in Gurgaon. She wants to transfer the same in her sons name (in this case myself). What is the correct way to do so in order to avoid any future complication, should it be done thru gift deed or family settlement? Currently there are 4 of us in the family viz. my mother, my father, my siste and myself. Sister any myself are both married.

2) Should we also disclose and furnish details of property held by my father in Delhi? or should that be left alone? how should I deal with this situation

3) Please help in clarifying steps to be taken in order to follow recommended suggestion. A response will be highly appreciated.

regards

Learning

17 Replies

In addition to the above Property was acquired by my mother thru her own funds and all the family members are willing to sign the legal documents thru their own will with no complications what so ever.

Khaleel Ahmed (Legal Advisor)     22 October 2009

She can give the property through gift settlement deed duly registered in your favour with possession of the property. Among Mohammadans any gift of the immovable property can be gifted through oral gift, which valid, the registered deed need not be executed.Simply handing over and taking over of the property with oral words of hiba ie., gift.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your respones. I got 2 responses one favoring the gift deed and one favoring the family settlement. I think I will go ahead with family settlement procedure. Getting to sign my brother-in-law on the document might be a bit of challenge, please advise if that can raise any complications. Further I was also thinking to get a will drafted and register the same, will that help?

Thank you so much for your respones. I got 2 responses one favoring the gift deed and one favoring the family settlement. I think I will go ahead with family settlement procedure. Getting to sign my brother-in-law on the document might be a bit of challenge, please advise if that can raise any complications. Further I was also thinking to get a will drafted and register the same, will that help?

Karl Jacob (Partner/Advocate)     22 October 2009

Gift and settlement are one and the same. In Transfer of Property, there is nothing defined as 'SETTLEMENT'. Only gift is under Chapter VII of the said Act. 

1 Like

G.H. SUBBU (Advocate)     22 October 2009

The Gift settlement deed shall be registered.  But in the case of family partition, there is no need for registration.  Just signatures of all the family members in the Family Arrangement Deed among the family property with proper witnesses is enough for the Family Arrantgment Deed, which is also a valid one, in law.

1 Like

Karl Jacob (Partner/Advocate)     22 October 2009

Gift and settlement are one and the same. In Transfer of Property, there is nothing defined as 'SETTLEMENT'. Only gift is under Chapter VII of the said Act. 

1 Like

Rohit (mmm)     23 October 2009

thank you all for providing me with your expert opinion. One more question, in case of GIFT deed there is a clause (refer below) does it mean it can be revoked by Doner at any time post agreement also?The donor and donee may agree that on the happening of any specified event which does not depend on the will of the donor a gift shall be suspended or revoked; but a gift which the parties agree shall be revocable wholly or in part, at the mere will of the donor, is void wholly or in part, as the case may be.

When gift may be suspended or revoked.-

A gift may also be revoked in any of the cases (save want or failure of consideration) in which, if it were a contract, it might be rescinded.

Save as aforesaid, a gift cannot be revoked.

mahesh kumar yadav (Advocate)     23 October 2009

hi,

i will agree with R.Subramanian

1 Like

Satyaprakash Sharma (Advocate & Legal Consultant)     24 October 2009

Either clause quoted by you has some dependent clauses which you have not quoted OR same is orphan and inadvertantly krept into the gift deed.

Satyaprakash Sharma (Advocate & Legal Consultant)     24 October 2009

Either the clause quoted by you has some dependant provisions you have not quoted;

OR

given clause orphan and is inadvertantly krept into the gift deed which has no legal effect.

Anand (worker)     09 November 2009

Hi. Do you know which specific act governs property settlement in India? I believe "Land" is the state subject, hence it would be helpful if you could give me information about the relevant act related to propery settlement in Tamil nadu.

thanks in advance

Romeo (ob)     04 December 2011

Respected Sir,  Does settlement means one of the family member is given his share from the property and he cant claim his share from any other properties?

if yes,  what if the other family member(s) settles a much less value property to one family member  with out his knowledge?  if that family member lives in the settled property for 4 0r 5 years with all the taxes paid in his name,does it means he has accepted the settlement? Sir,can you please share your thoughts on this

Abhishek (Managing Partner)     03 September 2015

Can a grandfather settle his self squired property in favour of grandson without concern or signatures of other family member Grandfather has bought 50% of Property by own funds and balance 50% by way of will of his wife

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register