Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

IsildursHeir   10 May 2016

General power of attorney registration for sale of immovable

Hi -

I have a property (freehold land) in West Bengal which is jointly in the name of myself and my wife. I intend to sell the property. Both me and my wife are NRI, and we are not presently in India. I have given a General Power of Attorney document to my mother, and my wife has given one to her mother. Both the General Power of Attorney documents are properly validated, signed, and attested by the local Indian High commission. 

I understand that in order to sell immovable property, the GPoA document has to be registered with paying stamp duty. My questions are - 

1. What is the stamp duty payable in West Bengal to register such a GPoA document so that an immovable property may be sold with the same? I understand in other states it is something like Rs. 500 when given to your mother, but I cannot find the information for West Bengal.
  2. If the stamp duty is 4% or 5% of the property fee, do both me and my wife have to pay it twice, or can we each pay half of the same? Otherwise it feels like double payment of the stamp duty.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register