Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hima C (student)     28 October 2014

Foreigner marriage in india

Hi there,

I am from Kerala,India. My fiancee is from Poland and settled in the UK. I was in the UK for doing my studies. I just come last month. We were planning to get married in India. When i started my enquiry about marriage registration in India with him, i come to know that the marriage with foreigners are currently stopped inIndia. I would like to know why is it not possible in Kerala? Is it only in Kerala or all over India? Could you please advice me whether is there any chance to get married in anywhere in India? As i am a Hindu and he is a Christian it is not possible by Hindu marriage act also. Please advice. Looking forward into it.

Many thanks

Hima

Learning

5 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     29 October 2014

@ Author,

1. It is wrong to say that the Registration of Marriage is closed pan India or in State of Kerala as per your information. 

2. A foreigner wishing to marry an Indian should marry under Special Marriage Act where neither partner needs to change religion and simple procedure (information) to Register their marriage is mentioned in link - keralaregistration.gov.in/pearlpublic/index.php which both of you may follow.

[Last reply]

Hima C (student)     29 October 2014

Thank you very much for your reply Sir. I myself been to the marriage registration office at Cochin to ask about the procedure to get married with a foreigner in Kerala. I was told by one of the senior staffs, that it was possible couple of months before. Recently,they got a circular from their higher authority asking them to stop foreigners marriage registration until they get another circular which permitting them to do so. i was so disappointed with their reply and they also told me they don't know how long is this for. After that i been to my local registration office, they also  told me the same reply. Please help me. 

Hima C (student)     29 October 2014

Thank you very much for your reply Sir. I myself been to the marriage registration office at Cochin to ask about the procedure to get married with a foreigner in Kerala. I was told by one of the senior staffs, that it was possible couple of months before. Recently,they got a circular from their higher authority asking them to stop foreigners marriage registration until they get another circular which permitting them to do so. i was so disappointed with their reply and they also told me they don't know how long is this for. After that i been to my local registration office, they also  told me the same reply. Please help me. 

(Guest)

My reply though cannot be termed as legal with respect to your query, assuming that you are a hindu, you can easily get married with that foreigner in any temple which has a priest.  Pay some money to the priest and he will get you married, exchange garlands, take a photograph of it, one exchanging garlands, another after exchanging garlands.  Print a invitation and distribute it among friends/relatives etc, keep one invitation aside for proof of marriage.  If the priest tells you to get mangalsutra, get it. 

Is there any urgent requirement for showing proof of marriage?  any property matter involved?  you have not mentioned any of it in your query.  If getting married is the only objective, follow the above method, right now and get the marriage registered later on.  

These days marriage dont work, its very difficult to untie the knot after tying it.  You are planning to tie the knot with a UK citizen, foreigners dont believe in marriage and stuff, and getting divorce for them is like changing clothes, are you sure about tying the knot with this guy?  Think and take a step forward.  10 days later if you feel that you cannot live with each other, you will find it very difficult to untie the knot, ie get divorce.  In other words, first do all the circus and get marriage registered, and later on when it wont work, do double circus to get away from each other.  Its just a suggestion,, get married in UK as per norms there, if it work out fine, if it dont work out, divorce getting easy there unlike here in India.  

Wish you happy married life in advance.

lijo   18 August 2015

I am from Kerala, My fiancee is from Srilanka. I was in kerala.We were planning to get married in India. When i started my enquiry about marriage registration in India with him, i come to know that the marriage with foreigners are currently stopped inIndia. I would like to know why is it not possible in Kerala? Is it only in Kerala or all over India? Could you please advice me whether is there any chance to get married in anywhere in India? As i am a Christian and she is a Christian it is not possible by Christian marriage act also. Please advice. 

Lijo

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register