Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kulvinder (Director)     19 July 2014

Foreign divorce complying hindu marriage act valid in india?

Dear Advocates,

I was married on Feb 19, 2006, and marriage got registered according to Hindu marriage act. On May 29, 2011 we got separated. My wife went to Canada as a permanent resident. I am also permanent resident of Canada. Since June, 2011 she is living in British Columbia, Canada. I filed my divorce case in the court of British Columbia on 3rd March, 2014. The ground of divorce case was dissertation. I was granted the ex-parte divorce decree on 19th June, 2014, as she did not contest the case. Although the notice of family claim/summon was being served at her Aunt’s address as per the order by the honourable judge. Now my question is that whether the Indian court recognizes this decree of divorce or not? My divorce fulfils the fundamental conditions of Hindu marriage act. That is the ground of the divorce was dissertation, at the time of application we were separated for 2 years and 9 months. This case also fulfils the condition of Hindu marriage act, that, who is the competent authority to grant the divorce? According to Hindu marriage act, a court is a competent authority where the respondent is living. So my wife is living in British Columbia permanently (She has Indian Passport but Permanent resident of Canada). So I got the divorce from the jurisdiction of my wife i.e. from the supreme court of New West Minster, British Columbia, Canada.  This is the nearest competent court where my wife is living. She is living in Surrey. Please tell whether my divorce is acceptable in India or not. I will be highly grateful for your precious advices.

Learning

6 Replies

Dear Raj, thanx for replying. Will you please tell that what is the procedure to validate the divorce decree?

Thanks Mr Raj for your valueable advice.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     19 July 2014

The key rule laid by the Supreme Court on the subject issue can be summed up as follows: If a couple is married under Hindu law, (a) the foreign court that grants divorce must be acceptable  under Hindu law; and (b) the foreign court should grant divorce only on the grounds which are permissible under Hindu Law.
The two conditions make it almost
impossible for a Hindu couple married in India to get a legally valid divorce from a foreign court since no foreign court is an acceptable one under Hindu Marriage Act and also because no foreign court is likely to consider the provisions of Hindu Marriage Act before granting divorce.

The exceptions that Supreme Court has permitted to the above rule laid by it are as  follows in a case where husband has filed for divorce in a foreign land:
A)The wife must be domiciled and permanently resident of that foreign land AND the foreign court should decide the case based on Hindu Marriage Act.
B) The wife voluntarily and effectively attends the court proceedings and contests the claim on grounds of divorce as permitted under Hindu Marriage Act.
C)The wife consents to grant of divorce

Kulvinder (Director)     20 July 2014

Thanks Mr Kalaiselvan for your kind advice. I talk about exception A. My wife is permanent resident of Canada. She is living in Canada. And the court granted the divorce on the ground of dissertation which is a provision in Hindu Marriage act. So according to you it should be valid in India and I can remarry in India?

Kulvinder (Director)     20 July 2014

Thanks again Dear Mr Kalaiselvan.

bhagwan (owner)     22 December 2015

sir, pls advose the legal divorece in hindu. if any man marry with divorecee lady, she had divorece on stamp paer and signed in sub registrar office, whether any problem in future, any loss to child she bring with her from previous husband , any problem for new child after this marriage. pls help me and advise. Thanks

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register