LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kavya (Finance Executive)     12 June 2013

Forced to resign during my maternity leave

Hi, I work for a private organisation as Finance Executive. I am currently on maternity leave until 10 July 2013. Before going on maternity leave I had 43 days of earned leaves (EL). I combined this with 3 months of maternity leave. My expected delivery date was April 10th. With the help of my HR manager I applied for leaves as told by her. That is maternity leave from 6Feb13 to 30Apr13 and my EL (with maternity leave as reason) from 1May13 to 10Jul13. I started my leaves (combined with maternity leave) from Feb 6th. Before going on leave, I was asked by my manager to inform him about my continuity of job after my delivery before two months of my rejoining.

I delivered a pre-term underweight (1.7kg) baby boy on Feb 19th. Because of the critical condition I was adviced by the doctor to take good care of the baby after the discharge from hospital. In the month of March I sent a mail to my HR asking if there is possibility to take loss of pay for 3 more additional months. My HR replied to me that she checked with my manager and he is not willing to extend my leaves.

As agreed, in the 1st week of May, I went to my company to inform my manager that I am willing to continue my job and will be joining back on 10Jul as indicated earlier. During my discussion with he expressed his dislike about me checking with HR for leave extension. But agreed for my comeback.

Today (12Jun13), all of a sudden, I received a call from my HR saying that my manager has decided to lay me off from the company and I can talk to him about it in detail. I will be meeting him in on friday (14Jun13). 

I would like to know if it is legal to lay me off during my maternity leave? Though I am on maternity leave, technically, I am in Earned Leave (reason for EL is maternity leave). Does the Maternity Benefit Act apply to this situation?

Can some one help me what I can do?

Learning

4 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     12 June 2013

By law, all pregnant employees are entitled to ordinary maternity leave of 26 weeks. Employees who worked for their employer continuously for at least 12 months are also entitled to an additional maternity leave. Employees may have additional leave rights under their contracts. Employees have the right to return to work at the end of their maternity leave. If refused, or otherwise treated unfavourably, they may also have additional claims for unfair dismissal and s*x discrimination.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     12 June 2013

---Total Maternity benefit 12 weeks: out of which not more than 6 weeks shall precede the date of  expected delivery.

So after delivery a woman is entitled for Maternity benefit, say 6 weeks.

----Then another one month leave can be availed:

“A woman suffering from illness arising out of pregnancy delivery, premature birth of child or miscarriage shall be entitled, in addition to the period of absence allowed to her under the provisions of the Act, to leave with wages at the rate of maternity benefit for a maximum period of one month. {Section 10}. “

This leave can not be refused.

You should avail this leave and salary for this period.

The employee has been on Maternity leave and thereafter  medical leave is required due to complications arising out of pregnancy and delivery.

The further extension is also sought due to complication/medical reason arising out of pregnancy and delivery.

If EL is sanctioned ( Produce leave application and approval) then it can be construed that company has a policy or agreed in your case to club Maternity Leave with EL.

You should apply for further sick leave by proper leave application ( with category of leave mentioned as sick l;eave) and by attaching advice of the doctor/medical certificate for bed rest, thru redg. post preferbaly and retain the POD.

The medical issues/complications mentioned by you are due to pregnancy/delivery and the employee has been submitting Doctor’s Rx/advice for seeking leave for treatment of complications arising out of pregnancy/ to meet the family obligations post delivery. The condition of the lady may be just and justified for extended leave even if unpaid. And doctor has advised bed rest.

Female anatomy is complex and a lady risks her life while giving birth to a child.

The effects on the health can be far reaching and in case of some women more time may be required to return to normalcy. A small mistake can adversely affect the health of the female may even render her unable to reproduce later.

While employer may insist that the lady may resume duties at the earliest the lady may feel that her body does not allow it to join now and she needs some more time.

It is suggested that the temptation for termination may be avoided and employer may rather allow to work from home. Reach an agreement.

The decision of termination apprehended by you may be termed discriminatory and bad, and may become

penultimate for both employee and employer.

HR/IR has their duties and responsibilities cut out for them, including: “Preparing for Employee Termination.” And avoid “Wrongful Termination” also “Adjustment for Employees who are Pregnant, on maternity leave, on leave after delivery.”

Does the employer have a reason for Termination/lay off which is unrelated to leave?

(This may not be an easy task.)

The woem employee in this case is not feigning sickness? Employer should resort to principle of natural justice?

There are many threads on similar subjects e.g: you may find these useful.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Resignation-after-maternity-leave-79271.asp#.UbicovlVPxo

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Maternity-act-74586.asp#.UXPE3qKAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Forced-to-resign-when-enquired-about-maternity-leaves-75754.asp#.UXPC0qKAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Maternity-leave-salary-76258.asp#.UXPDG6KAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Meternity-leave-75127.asp#.UXPEpaKAqWM

Your boss and HR is not your employer.

You can escalate to good offices of Appointing Authority, MD, Chairman, Company Secretary.

---------Has your company paid you the Maternity Benfits so far?

6. Notice of claim for maternity benefit and payment thereof. –

“ (5) The amount of maternity benefit for the period preceding the date of her expected

delivery shall be paid in advance by the employer to the woman on the production of such proof as may be prescribed that the woman is pregnant, and the amount due for the subsequent period shall be paid by the employer to the woman within forty-eight hours of production of such proof as may be prescribed that the woman has been delivered of a child.”

------“ 8. Payment of medical bonus. -- Every woman entitled to maternity benefit under this

Act shall also be entitled to receive from her employer a medical bonus of twenty-five rupees, if no pre-natal confinement and post-natal care is provided for by the employer free of charge.

It is felt that this amount has been increased to Rs.3500/-

Attached File : 1035325008 maternity benefits act 1961.pdf downloaded: 101 times

Kavya (Finance Executive)     12 June 2013

Hello Rama Chary sir and Kumar sir,

Thanks for your response. I am working with the company for the last 5 and half years and the senior most employee in the finance department with clear record in my career so far.

As I mentioned I will be having a meeting with my boss on Friday, if I am asked to resign what should be my reply?

Should I ask for termination letter from him?

Should I tell him that I am ready to go to Labour court and file a complaint against him/employer now?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 June 2013

AS per your post you are on approved leave till 10th July.

So why all of a sudden a meeting during leave?

There is probably no written communication sent to you for the meeting.

It is felt that you are not sick, but your child needs mother's care as the child is pre mature and underweight.

(You may go thru Maternity Benfit Act Section:12. Dismissal during absence of pregnancy,. The protection is during the 12 weeks leave and 1 month extra leave as per Sec10. Now you sem to be on EL and not on maternity leave or sick leave.)

You may mention that you are on approved leave upto dated.............................and that the leave was applied for after a discussion with Mr/Ms..............on dated and whole situation of sicknesa dn other facts were narrted in person/on phone and you were advised to avail the leave i.e EL/ or whtever leave is sanctioned by the company...............

and that you are due to join after this leave.This should be in writing and on record.

In the meantime you may meet a lawyer in person with all docs and narrate facts in order and proceed under expert advise of your lawyer.

Your lawyer who has seen all docs and has analysed the merits can advise you best. On line discussion has its own limitations.

You must try to protect your job.

You have the option to escalate to good offcices of your appointing authority,MD, Chairman etc..................and you can highlight your contributions,achievments etc

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register