Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manish (owner)     22 July 2014

Fixed deposit interest not added

Dear Experts,

My father deposited  an amount in fixed deposit with a PSU bank in 1998 for 4 Years (Upto 2002). But my father forgot to renew the FD and renewed the FD in 2011. The bank hasnot given the interest for 2002-2011 (9 years). We approached the bank manager for the issue,manager replied that it will not be possible to get the interest for that period.

1. My question is, bank could have informed us for renewal of the FD?

2. What should I do to get interest of the period  (2002-2011)?

Experts pls advice

Learning

5 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     23 July 2014

Issue legal notice demanding interest for the period the amount of FD was kept by the bank. Now-a-days it is automatic renewal and depositor need not instruct, check it from RBI/SBI

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     23 July 2014

The Bank has properly followed RBI directives.  RBI has issued directive not to pay interest on matured deposits.  The mandate of paying interest expires on date of maturity.  Please file RTI Application before the Bank and seek RBI directives and Bank directives on payment of interest on such matured deposits.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     25 July 2014

You may issue a legal notice to the bankers demanding the interest as advised by Dr. Vashista, wait for their reply and then decide about further course of action.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     05 August 2014

Generally FD receipts contain a statement that interest will cease after the date of maturity. But in your case there has been a long gap. You can crave for indulgence of the higher authorities in the Bank and allow you interest. It is doubtful that you will be able to demand. The bank could have informed you when the deposit reached maturity as  courtesy towards its customers. But if the bank did not do it  one cannot demand it.

Yours may not be the only case. There may be others too.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     05 August 2014

Now human errors are almost eliminated after advent of computers.

Once the data enters, software finalises for example say one has inserted data of 36 months in period feed, it generates Rate of interest, due date,and amount at maturity or periodical interest, and on the appointed day, it stops calculating interest and shows overdue status.

Once RBI fixed the norms, one can make any modifications manually in the system for past data.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register