LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gourang M Haldipur   30 January 2018

Filing of application u/s 4 of partition act

Dear Sir- A friend of mine is facing a very quixotic situation. His 4 cousins as plaintiffs filed a suit for partition in respect of a dwelling house against my friend (defendant no:1) and his 3 brothers and a sister as defendants 2 to 5. The suit was decreed. The decree holders filed an FDP. During the pendency of the FDP all the 4 decree holders and defendants 2 to 5 sold their undivided shares in the dwelling house to a stranger to the family without the permission of the Court and without offering my friend a chance to purchase their undivided shares. The dwelling house is not yet partitioned and my friend resides in the suit property while other members reside in their own houses at various localities in the same city. On an application moved by the stranger purchaser to be impleaded as a plaintiff, he was permitted to be impleaded as defendant no:6. and not as plaintiff. My friend is intending to move an application under Section 4 of the Partition Act to buy out the stranger. The question here is whether my friend as Defendant no:1 can file an application under Section 4 of the Partition Act against the stranger purchaser who is defendant no:6. Is it necessary for him to transpose himself as a plaintiff no:5 and then move the application u/s 4 or can he be permitted to file such application even as a defendant. Kindly guide.

Learning

4 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     30 January 2018

Your friend can file the application in his capacity as defendant.

1 Like

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     30 January 2018

The case is being handled by local  Advocate  and he can guide you properly.  The stranger's rights will be subject to verdict of the Court in that suit/appeal  only.  Now that you are in possession and as property was not divided in metes and bounds there is no worry for the present.

1 Like

Thank you very much Sir

Thank you very much Sir

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register