LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anjanaa   28 August 2015

Family disownment - Rs 20 bond paper

I am a 26 year old girl. I have no intentions to undergo arranged marriage with any stranger within my caste. My parents are not agreeing to get me married to my guy who does not belong to our caste. If I decide to proceed they want me to buy a Rs 20 bond paper and and write and sign on it and disown myself from the entire family first. They are also asking him to sign on it. I've made it clear that I need no part of their will/money but they are very particular that I must write in that document and cut off all relationship first. Is it OK to do that?

Learning

1 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     28 August 2015

An agreement without Stamp Duty is not an invalid agreement. As per Indian Stamp Act if an agreement is not duly stamped it is liable to be impounded by the govt. authority and cannot be admissible as evidence before the court of law. However the agreement can still be valid and binding if executed without any pressure or force.

Well ,nothing wrong in the behaviour of UR parents.Every parent will have high hopes on their children and they to be the torch bearers of the family traditiions. Marrying someone U have loved is not UR crime.Even today as caste system prevails in our country,nothing wrong in UR parents contentions to get U married from the same caste.In a fit of anger they may disown U today but in future there could be a reunion.Hence I am leaving the matter to Ur wisdom,whether to get married to the person U loved or pay heed to the words of Ur parents.

Bonds and agreements are good in nature for business but not for family values.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register