LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

S Lamba (Consultant)     20 February 2014

Exorbitant charges on atm withdrawal

I am holding a Credit as well as a Debit Card from SBI. A few days back I received a new card from them and a new Pin for the same. Since it is not mentioned anywhere on the card whether it is a Debit or a Credit card, and since I had not used my Credit card in a very long time, and almost forgotten about it, I mistook the new card for my Debit card. Since I also received a new Pin for the same, and being quite prudent, I went to the SBI ATM to change the new Pin. As soon as I inserted the said card into the machine it took me to the withdrawal screen, without giving any other option, and asked me to punch in an amount to withdraw. As I wanted to check the balance, and also whether the new Pin worked, I punched in the minimum possible amount, i.e.Rs.100 and ended up withdrawing Rs.100 from the ATM. There are four SBI ATM machines in a row in the same premises, and I ended up repeating the same error on the next ATM machine. Upon trying to contact the Branch, I was told there was an All India Bank strike on and I was not able to enter the Branch. I also thought that maybe because of the strike only the 'Cash Withdrawal' facility is working on the ATM's. Next day while trying to check my balance online, I realised the mistake I had made, and tried to contact the Customer care on this. I noticed I was charged an ATM CASH FEE of Rs.300 each plus GST Rs.74.16, i.e. Rs.674.16 on a withdrawal of Rs.200, which is very unreasonable by any measures. However even after repeated calls and emails on the same, I was informed by the Nodal officer that it would not be possible to waive off the charges, and/or rectify the error. Meanwhile I paid up the entire amount promptly and got my card blocked to avoid further compounding of the charges. Please advise if there is a recourse and if I can take this up further through the Banking Ombudsman.

Learning

4 Replies

Kundan Kr. Singh (Advocate)     20 February 2014

Pls lodge complaint with banking ombardsmen and Reserve bank of India against cheater Bank.If these authority not doing anything go to consumer court.

Little Lite Consultants (Proprieter)     20 February 2014

check MITC of your credit card. MITC means "Most important terms and conditions". calculate the rate as per MITC and check whether the charges are illegal. If clear explanation about these charges are given by SBI in MITC, there is little that you can do.

If not then send a mail to nodal officer with the subject "illegal charges". they would reply promptly.

if charges are clearly explained in MITC by SBI and you mistook your credit card for debit card then SBI would not be liable as they send a addendum letter with credit card informing the customer about their credit card.

for security reasons, SBI does not inscribe the words 'credit card' on its card.

we are also using SBI Gold credit card but tll now haven't faced any trouble with them except their long waiting over the customer care centre.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 February 2014

The charges on withdrawal by debit Card from ATM are NIL.

The charges on withdrawal by Credit Card from ATM are as per scheduled charges as defined in Credit Charges that should be displayed on Credit Card statement, MITC, website of M/s SBI CPSL……………

The ATM machine can not be programmed or can not be faulty to take direct to withdrawal option only.

If the Credit Card has been used inadvertently instead of wasting time, energy, money on phone calls lodge a complaint in writing to BM of SBI and escalate to Regional Manager and Chairman of the bank.

If you are dissatisfied you may write to close the SB A/cs of self, family, peers, friends, company, and relatives………………..

If you go by the complaints lodged by various consumers on online consumer portals, decisions of DCDRF etc  you shall find that SBI Card is one of the worst……………………………you may think of changing to other options.

Little Lite Consultants (Proprieter)     21 February 2014

We respectfully disagree with Mr. Doab.

There is no point in writing to BM of SBI/regional manager or chairman. Reason being SBI banking division and SBI credit card division are completely separate having an independent corporate structure. 

Also it would be foolish to close your savings account with SBI as it makes no difference to credit card division what you are doing with the banking division of SBI as they both are totally separate.

Please find below the proper hierachy of authorities in case of your card.

Primary level: nodalofficer@sbicard.com

If you are unhappy with the resolution provided you may appeal to:

Escalation Level 1: CustomerServiceHead@sbicard.com

Excalation Level 2: CEO@sbicard.com

If your complaint is still unresolved you may approach the Reserve Bank of India through the banking ombudsman. There are different ombudsman for different states. Please tell us your exact city and state and we will give you the address and email of the appointed ombudsmen.

Post this you may file a complaint with the Consumer district Redressal forum in your state. It is important and advisable to follow the heirachy instead of directly approaching the court as the case becomes strong.

Lastly we still reiterate our position to please check the MITC of your card before taking the matter to the authorities.

Best Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register