Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SeekingHelp (Private)     07 October 2013

Equal rights to women on ancestoral property

Respected Members of this forum,

Requesting your suggestion/advice on the below scenario.

My grandfather had 2 sons [my father is younger one, among them] and 5 daughters. My grandfather inherited a property worth of 2 acres from his father and he earned property worth of 1 acre. All the property remains unpartitioned till now.

My grandfather passed away in 1990, without any will. For about 40 years my father and his brother were maintaining the property [Paying electricity bills/ land tax/house tax/ land ploughing & maintenance]. My father even stayed with the property for these 40 years, where the other 5 sisters of my father were not even around the property. None of the expenses were shared by my fathers sisters. All the 5 sisters of my father are married before 1990, and the marriage expense was carried by my grandfather and my fathers brother.

With this said, currently we are planning to partition the land.

1. My question is will all the 7 children deserve equal rights on the property of my grandfather?
  2. Does the two sons who were maintaining the property given more priority as they were maintaining it all along?
  3. Does the equal share to the sisters applicable for both my grandfather earned property and my grandfather inherited property ?

Please note that i am not against women rights, as i strongly believe women have equal rights. I just wanted to know your opinion/suggestion on this.

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register