Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vasudev (Consultant)     06 November 2013

Engagement breach

Hi,

Few months back i sawn a match in chennai. i didnt liked her but after two months my parents asked me to think about that match, brides father also called us  to know the status. Meanwhile I got opportunity to go to US, in urgency also pressure from my parents i accepted for the engagement . I didnt remember her face exactly becuase i saw her two months back but i have seen her in social websites. Talks went on engagement was fixed but when i saw her in engagement really i dont want to marry but all her relatives our side relatives attended for the engagement in chennai, i thought this is not the right time to express my views iam really scared at that stage . After that engagement i went to US, after seriously thinking for1 month about my life in future with her i became scared. Then  i wrote a mail to her saying about engagement break up with causes (for example height and her appearence). Videos and Photos had been taken in the engagement. Wedding letter is also been studied in that ocassion. Without loving her i cant feel happy  make her also, and their family members. same thing i mentioned in the mail.

Now brides father is calling to us about our final decision, if we go for engagement break up  he conveyed that he wants to file a cheating case on us! or  he is demanding 10 lakhs compensation. Iam in a dilema what to do

What could be the consequences?? What is the possible of  cases he can file against us and As per law, can they file a case on us??

Is there any option to get rid form this litigation? i dont want to spoil her  life and my  life.

Please suggest me. Your suggestion and help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Learning

2 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     06 November 2013

If the bride's father had spent heavy amount on the lavish engagement function and you who had kept quiet all the while, in fact having enjoyed the status conferred on you that day, it is not fair on your part to withdraw from the proposal due to some flimsy reason.  However it is your choice but it becomes your moral responsibility to at least share the betrothal expenses to the extent of 50% if not fully, so to settle the matter amicably, sit and talk with the bride's father and settle the amount as per the negotiation arrived at and come out of the bigger problems that may emerge in the later date due to each side ego issue.  The bride's father can sue you for compensation should you break the terms of engagement on your own without assigning any valid reason.

Vasudev (Consultant)     07 November 2013

Thanks for the reply sir,

We are ready to pay the amount what he spent on engagement rituals or arrangements made, but he is asking more money than what he has spent ! In this point can i stop him in taking of extra money? if so, how i can do please convey sir. if he stand still at 10 lakhs amount for engagement breach compensation, we are not much economically good family (unable to pay) . In this case he will  file a cheating case on us.

Can you please tell us on what sections he can file a case? what is the subsequent  consequences on us?

what remedy can i take to avoid uncomfortable situation?

Thanks in advance

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register