Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

PEER MOHAMED (PROPRIETOR)     18 June 2014

Encumbrance on my property by distraint order on predecessor

Good day!

I need your expertise / valuable advice on vacating the Encumbrance filed on 10.03.2008 by the Sales Tax Department as per the Distraint Order(form 1, under sec 8)of the CTO dtd 07.03.2008 against the recovery of Sales Tax Dues from the previous owner of the property, which mortgaged property was taken possession by the bank on 11.03.2004 & on 23.01.2007 itself under sec. 13(4) of SARFAESI Act 2002 and was sold by 'Tender cum Auction Sale' to one 'X' by the bank on 31.01.2008, on 'as is where is' & 'as it what is' basis a 'Sale Certificate' dated 22.02.2008 stating that the sale of the scheduled property was made free from all encumbrances known to the secured creditor, which property was further sold by 'X' to me on 05.12.2012, when we noticed the Encumbrance on the property. 

Sir, I am very much aware that it is the duty of 'X' the Vendor, who sold the property to me, to resolve the previous liabiities / encumbrances, as he bought the property in an auction from the bank on 'as is where is' and 'as it what is' basis. So, I shall send a legal notice to him asking him to get all the pending liabilities / encumbrances settled and to get me a clear title of the property sold to me. 

Here, apart from the legal aspect, even though he is liable, as per the fact, he is an innocent / bonafide auction purchaser, who bought the property from the bank, who requires my help / assistance to get out the unexpected issues / litigations arised later after the Sale Certificate was issued to him, in which, Sale Certificate, the bank has confirmed by mentioning that THE SALE OF THE SCHEDULED PROPERTY WAS MADE FREE FROM ALL ENCUMBRANCES KNOWN TO THE SECURED CREDITOR ON DEPOSIT OF THE MONEY DEMANDED BY THE UNDERSIGNED, eventhough the Tender Notice says that THE PROPERTY SHALL BE TRANSFERRED / CONVEYED ON 'AS IS WHERE IS' BASIS AND 'AS IT WHAT IS' CONDITION BY MEANS OF A 'SALE CERTIFICATE' IN THE NAME OF THE PURCHASER ONLY.

Here, my questions are

1. Whether we can deal directly with the Registration Department asking them to remove the Encumbrance made on the property of 'X' by the Distraint Order (Form1 under Sec 8) of Sales Tax Department dtd 07.03.2008 towards the recovery of Tax Dues of 'A' during 1991-1996 FY, before which encumbrance date the property was duly sold to 'X' by the bank through an Auction Sale on 31.01.2008 (as the same property was taken possession by the Bank on 11.03.2004 & 23.01.2007 itself under sec.13(4) of SARFAESI Act 2002, as 'A' had motgaged the said property in favour of the bank against the credit facilities availed by him and defaulted) and the Title of the Property was duly transfered / conveyed to 'X' by the Sale Certificate issued to him on 22.02.2008 itself, and 'X' has already taken possession of the said property by then, eventhough in the books of SRO, the ownership might have been in the name of 'A', as the 'Sale Cerificate' was not registered.

2. Whether the Sales Tax Department has the rights to attach / make encumbrance on the sold property on 07.03.2008 for the recovery of tax dues of 'A' during 1991-1996 ?

3. As I know a little about the Government Tax Dues / Revenues becomes the first priority in collection and becomes first charge above all, I equally understand that SARFAESI Act 2002 overpass all other existing laws, which please clarify?

4. When the bank made the sale with the condition that 'as is where is' & 'as it what is', whether these terms define the condition of the property or those conditions are applicable even on the title of the property as well?

5. Moreover, even though the sale condition was 'as is where is' and 'as it what is' basis, as the bank further in the Sale Certificate says that the scheduled property was made free from all encumbrances known to the secured creditor on deposit of the money demaned by the undersigned, the Auction Purchaser 'X' becomes bonafide / innocent for the present litigations. Am I right? Then, as the bank becomes responsible, shall we approach the bank to settle the issues?

6. Or, should we approach the Sales Tax Department for  the remedy, as they have done a wrong attachment on others' property for the recovery of some ones' tax dues? Here, I read some articles that towards the recovery of Tax dues / Revenue dues, they can attach the sold properties as well, which please clarify the applicability in our case.

7. If only solution is to go to the court for remedy, what me and 'X' have to do? What type of case to be filed? On whom should be filed? How long will it take for a solution?

8. After all, I need the encumbrance / litigation on the property to be cleared immediately at the earliest (?) so that I can avail bank loan on that property to carry on my business, which loan was primarily got sanctioned. FYI, I totally forgot about the encumrance on the title of the property, when I approched the bank asking for a loan. Now, the bank is after me and asking me the full set of documents with a new encumbrance certificate for the disbursement of loan. Now only, I got the memory of the Encumbrance created by the Distraint Order of Sales Tax Department on the property and hence, not given the documents to the bank and delaying the loan process from my end, as I have a good reputation in the bank. If I tell the bank manager now about the encumbtrance created on the property on 07.03.2008, he may mistake me.

Hence, advise me how should I handle the situation to come out of the issues quickly. Your prompt response by return would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
A.Peer Mohamed
Ph. +919444361786
Mail: apm.peer@gmail.com

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register