Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shekhar (Not working)     25 September 2013

Education loan settlement issue- urgent advice required

Dear Experts,

I need your advice to settle my education loan. I had taken an educational loan from SBI in 2004 wherein my father was a co-borrower.

My father and me had an understanding that he will be clearing the EMIs from his account lying in the same branch. Unfortunately my father passed away in 2011 and later on I came to know from some of my relatives that bank has started sending reminders / notices to our old address (temporary address of my native place) and asking for settlement of dues which has soared up heavily. I also came to know that very few EMIs were paid earlier which makes the issue even more critical. My father is also no more to clarify all these things.

Now thing is that whatever the circumstances are there I want to get rid of this episode. I have not given any cheques nor signed any ecs for the purpose so there is no instrument that comes in picture.

I would request experts on this subject to kindly suggest me on the following.

1. How will it affect my credit history?

2. What kind of legal action bank can take against me considering the fact that I no longer live at my native place where I had availed the loan?

3. Shall I directly contact the bank to discuss the matter or shall I take services of a lawyer?

4. Is there any way out to have it settled with all payment penalties waived off?

I am very worried and apprehensive about the situation. Please help me in this regard.

Learning

1 Replies

Tapan K Mitra (Engineer )     15 September 2014

Banks are very flexible and co-operative; do not shy away. Go and meet the concerned manager in the bank. They can provide you the statement of account of your loan.

based on the SOA you can re-schedule the payments and give post dated checks for 12 to 24 EMI or can clear a lumpsum amount of Interest over due as on date. This will reduce the interest burden of the loan and if possible try to re-pay the principal amount ASAP. This will create a good record of yours in Financial system in India.r  

Clear the loan at the earliest or as a defaulter you may face complication in taking future loans for housing as well as for  vehicle due to CDRIL process. 

Do not feel, you need to involve any legal complications in this matter. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register