LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abdul Khadeer (Student)     14 November 2014

Education loan interest -reg

Respected sir, I am from Vellore, Tamilnadu. I am studying final year BE mechanical. I have taken loan in Axis Bank on july 2013 for 2.4lakhs. They had interest rate of Rs.5339/month while studying itself. They deduced the amount from my bank account and from next month i have not paid the interest amount till now. After 12 months, now, they are calling me by phone and asking me to pay the interest amount. They told that the bank will file a case on us if we cant pay the interest amount. I said I will pay only after completing my degree, but they are telling that is EMI, this is interest amount. Please give ur valuable suggestion sir.. Thanks

Learning

2 Replies

P.THANGAVEL (ADVOCATE & LEGAL CONSULTANT)     14 November 2014

Based on the facts presented,it appears a classic case of blatant violation of  IBA guidelines on Educational loan.

Educational loans ie the principal and interest is repayable by way of EMI only after one year on completion of course or getting the job whichever is earlier..The EMI will be normally based on your monthly earnings/ family income..

Demanding the repayment of interest  during the study itself and recovering the same from your account without  your consent shows arbitrariness on the part of the bank.

Do not get panic on receiving phone calls and you simply call for demand notice in writing,so that you can proceed further.

You may visit IBA website where you will get all the details about EL.

P.Thangavel, Advocate & Former Senior Manager of leading PSB.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     15 November 2014

It is felt that M/s Axis Bank is not member of IBA. You may check. You may also go thru guidelines issued by RBI that have statutory force and are mandatory and not discretionary. The guidelines have to be maintained by bank on website and printed version is to be supplied free of cost to customers.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register