Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suresh Shah   15 December 2015

Drat related query

Hi Experts,

I am planning to buy a residential flat in auction under SURFAESI act from SBI Mumbai

SBI has followed the entire process like sending notices 13(2) , 13(4) etc to the borrower

However the bank officer told me that the borrower has filed a case in Bombay high court which is rejected and another case in DRAT which is pending..

As I am new to this auction thing I have the following questions -

1. Is it true that the borrower has to pay 50% of the loan money and only then he can appeal in DRAT ? In this case it will make his case strong and can affect me as a new buyer
  2. Can bank go ahead with the auction while the appeal is pending with DRAT …like in our case
  3. What will happen if the borrower gets a stay on the auction from DRAT after we have paid the 25% amount
  4. What will happen to the pending case after we have paid the 100% amount and got the sale certificate from the bank….will we( the new buyer ) need to fight the case or will it go on between the borrower and SBI only

Suresh shah

Learning

6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 December 2015

In the plain case itself there are lot of difficulties to get the property registered even after successful bidding. 

In your case there are litigation  after litigation, so just sit back  and think that whether you still want to go behind this property and get tangled in the litigation and run after courts despite investing your valuable money(?)

You can fight to get the desired reliefs but it is time and energy consuming besides spending towards litigation and lawyer fees. 

Suresh Shah   15 December 2015

Hi Mr T Kalaiselvan,

What if both High court and DRAT appeals are disposed off ...Can I go ahead ?

My local lawyer told me that if the high court case is disposed and the DRAT appeal is pending ( with a minor reason like financial difficulty is paying ) then u can buy the property as if there was any stay on the property then  SBI would not have sent the auction notice in the first place

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 December 2015

There is no guarantee till the bank is possessing the property with title and is selling the property through public auction to the successful bidder.

Once the property is sold by the Bank, they will wash away their responsibility of handing you the physical possession of the property. The bank officials may not cooperate even for registration formalities. If there is a subsequent litigation, the bank may not come to your rescue though it it becomes their duty to clear any type of litigation that may arise in future in this regard.

jyotirmaya behera (advocate)     16 December 2015

if there is stay regarding the AUCTION that means bank can't auction. if you want to purchase that house then you have to participate in auction which is fixed the date time and place. There is no more litigation only one difficulty is if the borrower pays the total amount to the bank after leave of the court or any other reason from the bank side then your money is secure and the bank will return your money with the interest 

Bank can’t auction the house without leave of the DRT / DRAT and the auction is guided by the guide line of minister of Finance and in present of the DRT/DRAT officer

Suresh Shah   16 December 2015

Hi Jyotimarya,

Thanks for your reply,  I came to know that there is a case pending in DRT - 3 Mumbai..

Case stage - Evidence   Next hearing date - 28/3/16

1. Can bank still go ahead with the auction ? They told me that new auction notice will come in 2 days

2. After buying the flat are there any chances that we will be dragged into this DRT case which is going on between borrower and bank

Borrrower owes Rs 28 Cr with SBI

Suresh Shah   17 December 2015

Hi experts,

Can you please provide your view on this.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register