LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Richa   13 June 2017

Doctor arrested under section 304

One of my friend's father is a doctor practicing in Digboi. He has been arrested and Section 304 has been imposed on him. he gavr medicine for dehydration to a girl and asked her parents to get her admitted, as her condition was bad. They did not admit her and the girl died. Now he is arrested, the post mortem has not come yet. 1) Does the post mortem takes 15days, as said by doctors? 2) The lawyer says it will take 15 days to file for bail. is that so? 3) can the police arrest him without any proofs? 3) what should be the next course of action as he is a diabetic.

Learning

2 Replies

Arjun Kohli   23 June 2017

1. The outcome of the post mortem report is very essential in this case. Usually, Post Mortem report has to be submitted within 24 hours of receiving the dead body for the purpose but sometimes, due to the complex nature of death, specific tests have to be performed in special laboratries which might extend the time period of furnishing of such report. 
  2. Moreover, 304 is applicable in cases of Culpable Homicide not amounting to Murder. Culpable Homicide is causing death intentionally, or with knowledge that such act could cause death. Therefore, I believe that it is not even applicable here, unless such dehydration medicine is normally known to cause death. Infact, the Doctor only advised the parents for the benefit of the girl, to admit her. Only that it will end up being his word against theirs, unless he has any witness to back his assertion.
  3. Bail is a matter of right and means release from legal custody. As soon as a person is taken into custody, a bail application can be moved on behalf of that person. In your case, Medical grounds can definitely be cited, apart from the basic outline of the case, based on the grounds of inadequate reasons to believe that the accused is actually guilty of the offence. Infact, unless it is known usually that dehydration medicine causes death, the doctor will be rightfully protected under the General Exceptions under IPC, i.e, Act done under good faith for the benefit of the person, by consent. (Exact provision can be located with proper details). Also, I believe that 304A would be the rightful charge even if there was any confusion with regard to the death and that offence is a bailable offence where bail is to be granted as a matter of procedure.

However, I sincerely suggest to discuss this with a sound legal counsel to secure the person's bail, and to later defend him as that is a matter of urgency.

Richa   23 June 2017

Mr.Arjun Kohli, I really appreciate the way in which you have explained this matter and gave your advice. This is the only reply I have got till now,which has actually made clear the exact state of the case. Once again I am really thankful for taking out time and making this so clear.
1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register