LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

karan   24 April 2017

Divorce

Dear all, I have registered married a girl with her will when she was at her UG 1st year and left her in her home, From the date of marriage to till date, she stay in her home and myself in my home.Once she completed her UG final year she join a job in a financial sector and within 17 days from the date of joining she ran with a guy who was already married.and her parents file a girl missing case in nearby local police station,and I  myself search the girl for 55 days for my satisfaction and spend around 11 Lakh and i finally found her in some other state and I hand over the girl to her parents and did some helps they need and stayed apart from her for 2 years, I don't want to hurt their parents so I waited for 2 years that they will come to a mutual talk for divorce but instead now they are forcing me to marry the girl officially.I lost my 12-year love life, she cheated me and now they are forcing me to marry her. I want to divorce her but in what ground? Seeking for expert advice in this matter.Kindly help me in this matter, Sir/Mam.

Learning

1 Replies

Aman Venugopal   09 June 2017

Marriage constitutes the very basis of social organization. Hindu law regards marriage as a sacrament- indissoluble and eternal. Now in the first instance, it seems clear that the marriage has not been consummated as you both never lived together. therefore, one supporting argument would be that the marriage has not been consummated and hence that could be used as a helping point to support your main argument for divorce. However, this is just a secondary argument. Your primary grounds of filing for divorce under Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act would be dessertion and also adultery to a certain extent. The expression “desertion” means the desertion of the petitioner by the other party to the marriage without reasonable cause and without the consent or against the wish of such party, and includes the wilful neglect of the petitioner by the other party to the marriage, and its grammatical variations and cognate expressions shall be construed accordingly.

For your further explanation,exact wordings of Section 13 (1A) are

Section 13(1A) in The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955

22 [(1A) Either party to a marriage, whether solemnised before or after the commencement of this Act, may also present a petition for the dissolution of the marriage by a decree of divorce on the ground—

(i) that there has been no resumption of cohabitation as between the parties to the marriage for a period of 22 [one year] or upwards after the passing of a decree for judicial separation in a proceeding to which they were parties; or
(ii) that there has been no restitution of conjugal rights as between the parties to the marriage for a period of 22 [one year] or upwards after the passing of a decree for restitution of conjugal rights in a proceeding to which they were parties.]

Since all the above conditions are being fulfilled in your case and the other party wrongfully went away with another man who was married thereby not showing any intention of resumption of cohabitation and this was done without the consent of the parties for more than a period of 2 years, the ground for your divorce are pretty solid. Any lawyer/advocate will be easily able to prove on your behalf that the ground of dessertion does indeed apply in your particular case and that the fact that the wife also went away with another married man does amount to adultery and all this resumed for more than 2 years and without the mutual consent. Take care.
1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register