Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Tejas Subrahmanya (Associate Professor)     10 April 2012

Discrimination in office

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I joined this for a specific purpose.

I am working as an Associate Professor at a B-School, and have been doing pretty well here.

Last month, on 26th March, 2012, the director of the B-school called me and told me to leave the organization citing the following reasons.

a. I did not perform well in the Entrepreneurship Week that was between 11th to 18th Feb, 2012

b. I always asked for salary hikes

c. I surprised her by asking a day's OD, to visit Mr. Pranab Mukherjee's address to press and public after the budget.

I have some counter points on each of the above allegations.

a. There were two of us in the team in charge for ensuring that the E-week went of well. If this is the case, why isn't my partner also penalized? Why am I the one penalized for the failure? If the entire effort is a team effort, then the entire team should be penalized. Why am I being singled out?

b. I legitimately inquired through the Dean - Academics about my salary after a year of joining. A performance appraisal form was also distributed to all employees of the B-school, and since nothing came out of the exercise, was I wrong in inquiring about salaries? Sometime in January, a revision in salary was announced, and varying amounts were fixed for employees. I got a revision of Rs. 3500. One of the faculty members got a revision of Rs. 2500. He went back, argued with the management and got a revision of Rs. 5000. Looking at this situation, have I committed a crime by legitimately inquiring about my salary? Am I not being discriminated on this ground?

c. The question I asked for visiting Mr. Pranab Mukherjee's address to public was to know whether OD could be availed? How come asking this has become a crime?

I do believe that being from South India, I have been discriminated against in my current employment and I want to know what recourse can I opt for to redress this.

Your esteemed advice shall be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Tejas Subrahmanya

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register