Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

newcomer123 (abc)     26 November 2014

Delays in consumer court cases-

hello.
what is the average times it takes for a consumer court case to get cleared these days in the chennai courts.. as far as i know ,it is used to be decades in the past..is it still the case now?
is there any time frame before which a consumer court case is expected to be closed or it depends on the judge........
what are the ways to speed up the case even if the other party is intentionally trying to delay it.

Learning

4 Replies

Hardeep (Business)     26 November 2014

No idea about Chennai but at Delhi it took me about 3 years - case finished 2012.

ADVOCATE Prem Joshi (Advocate/ Legal Consultant)     26 November 2014

No limit....you have follow the process

P.THANGAVEL (ADVOCATE & LEGAL CONSULTANT)     26 November 2014

Normally it takes 3-4 years in most of the cases in Tamilnadu. Better than civil courts here.

P.Thangavel, Advocate & Social Activist.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     27 November 2014

Section 13 of the Consumer Protection Act 1986 prescribes the time that can be taken for the various steps. The admission hearing has to be held within 21 days of the receipt of the complaint. Thereafter 30 days are given to the Opposite Party to file his reply. An adjournment of a maximum of another 15 days is allowed. Thereafter if things such as laboratory tests are required it can take further time. 2. There is a general stipulation that if no laboratory tests etc are required the case should be finished within 3 months of the receipt of the complaint by the Opposite Party if no laboratory tests are required and 5 months if laboratory tests are required. So far I would have fought some 5 cases. In 4 cases they got finished within the stipulated limit + a month or so. In one case it took about one year because I asked for an adjournment till my return as I was going abroad. I never appointed a lawyer for my cases. If one is vigilant not allowing delaying tactics and unnecessary adjournments one can get the case finished fast. If the Opposite Party deliberately tries to delay and the court yields, one should appeal to the higher court.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register