Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

NewMember (Old Designation)     16 January 2014

Debt recovery of saudi loan in india

Dear Lawyers,

I am currently facing problem with Bilkish Associates, I was employed by one of the leading bank long 4-5 years back. I had take a loan during my employment. But unfortunetly my employment was terminated  by the bank. As per Saudi rules my passport was in Bank's Custody, so i could not fly back to India.

The HR managers at the bank told me to clear my due and collect the passport. Naturally, since I did not have my passport my work permit was also expired i copuld not work anywhere i somehow survived 1.5 years in Saudi. I filed a case against bank challenging my termination  which i lost. Finally I arranged some funds from India and paid around 25% of the outstanding debt and the HR managers out of sympathy agreed to release me on final exit visa and gave me passport only after i made the deposit.

As it is clear they would not have given me passport unless i paid the amount , Now i am in India for 3 years and Bilkhish Associates is calling me i connection of the recovery of that amount.

Since the bank released my passport I was under impression that the case has been settled.

My question is can a company in India attempt to recover a loan that was taken in Saudi and from a Saudi bank? Is it legally correct? If not what can i do now? Should I approach police or hire a lawyer?

Please help me.

Learning

5 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     16 January 2014

Did you receive a notice in writing giving the details of the outstanding as well as the repayments?, if so, issue a suitable reply through a lawyer, do not act on oral notice or information, wait till something comes in black and white

Q Slinger (NA)     17 January 2014

NO..They cannot recover the debt from you in India. Jurisdictional issues comes in and there is no way a Saudi Bank would be able to recover the loan from you. I guess them calling you is indication enough that they are unable to take any legal action against you and hence have to stick to calling only.  Even if they did hire a debt recovery agency here in India, there is nothing they can do legally. They can only trouble via phone calls. If they know your address they might show up at your door, but you can approach the police station and file a complaint of tresspassing.

Similar situation to what has happened in Dubai when the economy fell in 2007. 1000's of expats left Dubai without clearing their loans. Unfortunately, as this is civil in nature (for most countries except Dubai and GCC), Dubai could not exercise it powers outside of it and hence wrote of millions of Dirhams as bad debt.

From my experience, its cost a lot more for the banks to chase someone down to recover debt. Because of this reason, most of them tend to write it off as bad debt  unless the debt is in the millions. Even then, all they can do is hound you but cannot take legal action against you in India. 

However, please do remember, by now you are probably banned in Saudi and any attempt to return will end up in you getting arrested so don't risk going there again. 

This link has more info as well:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070908014838AAVxPAh

Ravi   20 May 2016

Dear lawyers,

I was in UAE for 3.6 years and now i lossed my job. I have some dues with FGB and rak bank. From past one year i am getting calls from Bilkish associates and harassing me like any thing. Now they started coming to my home and harassing my father and mother. Please help

Ravi   06 June 2016

Please help on my above query URGENTLY

Q Slinger (NA)     13 June 2016

Originally posted by : Ravi
Dear lawyers,

I was in UAE for 3.6 years and now i lossed my job. I have some dues with FGB and rak bank. From past one year i am getting calls from Bilkish associates and harassing me like any thing. Now they started coming to my home and harassing my father and mother. Please help

If you need help...please start a new thread! Don't ask question on somone else's query!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register