Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

jm   28 March 2015

Death of husband at airport due to negligence

Dear Learned Advocates / Legal Consultants / Others,

Sub: Compensation on death of Husband due to Negligence of Airline; Compensation on death of Employee (Husband) from Employer

My husband died at the Chennai airport. He was in transit in Chennai and heading back to Mumbai where he was working. He had been travelling on work out of Mumbai to Bangalore, Bhubaneswar and Guwahati for more than a week. He called me from the airport at night saying that he was not feeling well and that he was not allowed to fly and the airline authorities were arranging medical attention at the Chennai airport. In the morning I got a call from the airport (caller did not identify himself and hung up before I could ask anything) saying that my husband was unwell and that I should come and get him from the Chennai Airport. My husband had recently started a new job in Mumbai for the last 2 months and I was based in Chennai during the period until he finalized the residence and other logistics for our move to Mumbai. So I rushed to the airport and after running from pillar to post I was taken to an ambulance where he lay dead! My whole world just collapsed right in front of my eyes. I have not been given a clear picture as to the cause of his death and why a fit man with no medical history aged 39 years can suddenly die. I feel this is clearly a case of collective failure and negligence of the Airline Company, Airport Authorities and the doctor on duty at the airport. I am not sure if any one else is to be included in the list. I am not an earning woman and was completely dependent on my husband along with my two young children aged 2 and 6 years. I have to take immediate steps for my two young children since I have no one to help me. Needless to mention, I am under a lot of stress and any help will be greatly appreciated: 

1.                What legal recourse can I take against the airline, airport authority and others, if any? Is it better to pursue only against the airline? How successful are these legal recourses in India? What is the magnitude of compensation that can be claimed from them under these circumstances?

2.                How can I get a respectable compensation from the company he worked at? I don’t have the offer letter and other details with me.

3.                How can I find out if the company he was working at had him covered under any insurance policy? Am I eligible to get compensation under the Employee Compensation Act from the employer along with the compensation from the firm’s insurance policy (assuming my husband was covered under the firm’s insurance policy)?

4.                Since he had just worked for around 2 months only at the current firm, do I get any ESI, PF, EPF, Bonus, Salary, Leave Salary or any other benefits under any other acts?

5.                Are there any Foras/NGOs/Commissions where a widower with two young kids like me can approach for legal help?

Thank you all for your valuable time and consideration.

Learning

4 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     28 March 2015

Mam,

Shocked to read it, sorry first of all. Has the post mortem been conducted?

File a complaint agaisnt the concerned authoites, mentitong that if sue care and caution be taken then your husband could not have dies. 

Appraoch the company meet the HR Department, I hope they will help you in any case. 

You can file an RTI to find out the insurance policies and other details about your husband's compnay. 

You can seek my help for free. I have no problem doing anything which I can do from Delhi ... I can guide you and do any paper work from here. 

Warm Regards

Kapil Chandna Adv

(Guest)

sorry to hear the loss
but based on what you had written, what sort of a recourse are you looking here.

i guess the airport authorities seem to have done their due deligence in not letting him board and informing you the same..generally, domestic airlines were not equipped with in flight doctors..so thats a procedure. not sure ,if there is anything that only you know but not being posted here or missing.

Abhik Sinha (lalabhik@rediffmail.com)     01 April 2015

First of all my deep Commiseration to you.
And thanks to Kapil Chandra Ji.....
I am also asking you the same question whether  Post Mortem has been conducted or not ? it is vital point. 
1st thing:-
You can file complain against the Airlines Authority if he was not properly treated within the premises of Airport.
2nd thing:-
Whether he had purchased any ticket for travelling ...if yes then you will certainly get enough compensation  from the Insurance Company.
3rd thing:-
Don't wait for searching the lost papers ..contact any young reliable advocate of your choice he/she could handle it properly. Details of job conditions may be obtained with little efforts.
4th thing:-
Don't give up hope, it will not take year after year.
You may contact me if you wish... of mail me with out any hesitation..or you may contact kapil ji..as in this situation you have to engage any lawyer...
best wishes for you & specially to your two kids..
abhik sinha, 9475226780/lalabhik@rediffmail.com. 

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     01 April 2015

by this time even the company has initiated some process about your husband and have you informed the same to the company 

from now onwards what ever the process you do do it on paper means through email, or any hand written paper and if post then with proper acknowledgement which will be a very useful document for you

what about the airport authority response on the issue what have the steps they had taken in this issue is the prime point before going into it because airport authority is not a small body 

and i am from hyderabad any help you need i am ready to do it for betterment of this issue 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register