Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Daughter share - partition suit

hello,
we are 2 daughters(married) and a son for our parents and have some ancestral land in hyderabad. my father inherited some ancestral property from his greatgrandfather and grandfather that are 60 yrs old.. both my parents expired in late 90s.I and my sister are asking for a partition but my brother has been delaying with frivolous reasons. my brother is a small time advocate and he has been giving frivolous reaons like we wont get share since there was a 2005 supreme court amendement stating if the father is expired prior to 2005 or not alive as of 2005 when the amendment became active, then daughter wont get share.

I spoke to few junior advocate(am not financially strong) and they say we can proceed with the case and not sure it is just for monetary benefits to get a case but no one seem to mention the above point.. so just want to know is the above law really in force,as my brother states, and how does it get applied in case of partition share of ancestral properties for daughters.
i was with all hopes so far that daughter now have rights in partition of ancestral properties..please help.

Learning

11 Replies

(Guest)

we are a hindu family

Shiddhartha Banerjee   15 October 2017

Madam,

You both sister first send a legal notice for partition and thereafter if your brother did not agrees then file a suit for partition.

Thanks

manoj   15 October 2017

In a recent ruling by Supreme Court the right of women seeking equal share in ancestral property will not give property rights to a daughter if the father died before the amendment came into force. The Supreme observed that the father would have had to be alive on Sep 9th, 2005, if the daughter were to become a co-sharer with her male siblings. The HSA 1956, originally did not give daughters inheritance rights in ancestral property. They can only ask for a right to sustenance from a joint Hindu family. But this was removed by an amendment to the Act on 9th Sep, 2005. The Supreme had added another disqualification for women regarding their right of inheritance that, if the property had been alienated or partitioned before Dec 20th, 2004, this authority makes it imperative for the father to have been alive when the amendment came into force. The supreme held that daughters cannot reopen the transaction  that the alienation of ancestral property, including its partition, which had taken place before Dec 20th, 2004, in accordance with the Law applicable at that time, would remain unaffected by the 2005 Amendment.

manoj

advocate

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     15 October 2017

Some expert should give a clear opinion, as many daughters are being lured by unscrupulous elements that they are eligible for share, and every day there are one or two cases filed on partition, and in every court there are more than 300 such partition suits filed by such daughters, burdening the courts and innocent litigants.

Even after such 2005 SC Judgment, there are several judgments given by Principal District Judges, for share in ancestral property to daughters whose father has expired before 1975, and even when there was earlier partition.

P. Venu (Advocate)     15 October 2017

Eventhough your father had inherted the property from his father/grandfather, the property need not be ancestral. Please verify.

Even if ancestral, you have share in the intestate propety of the parents.

Try for an amicable settlement, else file a partition suit.

(Guest)

hello,
what if there i NO partition done at all even priror to 2005 and it is still considred joint in nature. is the above clause of father being alive for daughter to get still applicable?

i say ancestral, because my father being the only son to his parents. and this property being bought by my grandparents.have doc registerd by my granfather...but there is NO mutation done as such and my father seem to have just inherited from his father as such after their death.

manoj   15 October 2017

basing on registered sale deed the title of the owner can be identified, mutation is not necessary

manoj

advocate

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     15 October 2017

You may seek partition by filing partion suit

P. Venu (Advocate)     16 October 2017

If the property has been bought by grandfather and father inherited it being the sole legal heir, it is not ancestral. Mutation in revenue or municipal records do not, by themselves,  constitute title to property, 

(Guest)

@venu,
when you say not ancestral, you mean to say - t is now  considered a self acquired of my father or we daughters have no rights at all. each of the above replies so far , n all the above, seem to have differnet opinions.
please clarify

P. Venu (Advocate)     16 October 2017

Yes, it had been the self acquired property of your father and the property that is intestate is jointly with all the legal heirs. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register