Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunil Bale (Engineer)     19 September 2012

Daughter's claim for father's property

Hi,

I needed some help / advice on a property case i have got into. Below are the details:

Last year (2011) i bought a site in Bangalore at the rate of Rs2600 per sq ft and site dimension was 30*40.
The site was under the name of the person Mr. BoleGowda who had expired in 2004.
The site was sold to me by his 3 sons. The family tree they gave to me during the purchase had only these 3 sons mentioned.

Last month 2 of their sisters have put a case against me and the 3 brothers asking for share in the site I purchased. I was not aware of the daughter's being present otherwise I would taken their permission also to buy the site.

I understand that the law says that the daughter's have all the rights on their father's property.

But the person who sold it to me gave me a family tree without mentioning the daughter's name in it. So there no fault from my side.

I wanted to know what are the different kinds of judgements it can lead to and what is the chance of me winning it.

Thanks,
Sunil

Learning

4 Replies

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     19 September 2012

dear querist ,

you are right daughters have equal right over the property of his father and he is entitled to claim the same . however you are saying that you have given the family tree of only 3 sons it means they had created a false ground with intention of doing fraud,they are entitled to get sued as per the various provisions of the Indian Penal Code.

however there are few Judgements where rights are overlooked by the court seeing the Strong title of the posession holder and by giving the relief to the plaintiff, in the above query you are totally safe if you are mislead by giving the false family tree by the sellers.The onus to give relief will reside over the sellers.feel free to call with full detail of the case to advise you the strong grounds to defend the case.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     20 September 2012

Sir/s,

With due respect, the daughters, if they can prove their status, have equal rights in the property, and they can demand a share in their father's property, as you have been misled by the brothers you had better file a criminal procedure case against them.

I believe you had asked for indemnity bonds from the brothers, as is the usual routine, to safe-guard your interests. In which case you are protected as far as your initial investiment is concerned, in this instance you had better proceed against the brothers for the loss and harassment on the strength of the indemnity bonds.

Regards,

Kishor Mehta

Sunil Bale (Engineer)     23 September 2012

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

In the Sale Deed which was executed during the sale, the sale deed does have a clause where the seller will take care of any legal issues in the future related to the property.

Had a couple of questions:

1.) Will there be any other information or documents I can collect from the seller before applying a suit against the seller which will strengthen my case?

2.) Does the daughter's have a right to be adamant that they need the property and don't agree for compensation from their brothers? Since it's an undivided share and i am a bonafied purchaser I should be sole owner of the site, am I right?

3.) There is an injunction order on the site against selling. Can I construct house on the site or should I wait till the case is closed - what risk does this involve.

Thanks and Regards,

Sunil

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     23 September 2012

Sir,

Since there is a clause indemnifying you against all legal liabilities as regards the property your interest is legally safeguarded and the sellers are responsible for the loss and harassment caused to you.

1] you can ask for a release deed, if there is one, on the strength of which the brothers declared that they were the only benficiaries of the original owner. If there is such a release deed signed by the sisters then the sisters do not have any right to the property.

2] To claim a right of property is the heirs' prerogative and they can not be forced to sell their respective rights. They can demand a share in the property or a value equal to their share.

3] You are better advised not to construct any structure at the property in your own interests.

4] You are further advised to adopt legal procedures, both civil as well as criminal, at the earliest to safeguard your investment and interests.

Regards,

Kishor Mehta

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register