Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajendraprasad Sharma (NA)     22 September 2012

Credit card - unknown transactions

HI

I recently discovered that their were some unknown on-line transactions done on my wife credit card...unfortuntely this card was never taken out from the envelope it was issued by the Bank and has always been with us.... While the bank is investigating the matter at states that it would need about 90 days to come out with a conclusion.

I has specifically asked the bank if i need to file a Police Complaint on these unknown transactions that have been charged against the card. In response to this the bank is not giving a clear response and i have a email response where the customer care executive says I MAY FILE A POLICE COMPLIANT .

Gurus pls advise as if i should proceed with the Police complaint as we had never lost the card??. What should be the basis of this compliant ......as at this stage we are not even clear if this was not an error from tht Bank??

Regards

RP

rks7280@gmail.com

Learning

4 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 September 2012

Banks on their own issue ATM cash withdrawal, on line transaction passwords which are supplied by normal post and it is usually mentioned that CC customer should confirm the receipt and change the password at once at his/her end.

You may discreetly obtain the details of such a procedure from web site of this company and check if company has to confirm the receipt from customer before activating the password. There has to be a proper security policy put in place by the company.

You may obtain the certified copy of CC issuance form filled and signed by you. CC Company is under obligation to supply it to you. You may check whether you have signed on any clause that mentions issuance of ATM cash withdrawal, on line transaction facility to you. Company might have supplied MITC in the welcome kit. You may go thru it. However it shall be appropriate to check with your lawyer before you give anything in writing to company.

You may write to CC company in response to email mentioning “I MAY FILE A POLICE COMPLIANT “and demand that company may designate a competent employee who shall represent the company to file a police complaint along with you, at your location. You may also demand all the findings of the company so far so that the process is transparent and you can share it with police.

You may certainly file a complaint with Police Commissioner/ SSP in writing under acknowledgment preferably by email followed by letter { obtain complaint number} mentioning the facts that you have never used the card and it has been lying the envelope and you have never received any password for online transactions { if it is a fact} and request to put the cyber crime cell into action to unearth the fraud and let you know in writing the IP address of computer and place from which the fraudulent transactions were made.

Company shall certainly try to transfer the onus on you citing that security of password is your responsibility. You shall need to poke holes in the stand of the company.

It shall be appropriate to approach a competent and experienced lawyer specializing in such matters and consumer cases with all record and seek expert advice and submit carefully structured communications to company, police to suit you in the long run.

Some of the banks e.g. Union Bank of India have stopped sending sensitive items by post/courier to customers, and have adopted the practice of calling the ATM cards, CC, cheque books, passwords, etc everything in bank only to ensure that the password etc is handed over to the right customer only.

What is the policy of your bank from the day CC is issued to you? If practice and policy is as in case of Union bank of India then probably you are on safer side as you can claim tht no password was ever issued and supplied to you by the bank/CC company.

Some of the banks e.g. Union Bank of India had stopped sending sensitive items by post/courier to customers, and have adopted the practice of calling the ATM cards, CC, cheque books, passwords, etc everything in bank only to ensure that the password etc is handed over to the right/identified  customer under acknowledgment in the bank permises only.

What is the policy of your bank from the day CC is issued to you? If practice and policy is as in case of Union bank of India then probably you are on safer side as you can claim tht no password was ever issued and supplied to you by the bank/CC company.

sa (retired)     01 October 2012

IN THE CASE CITED ABOVE  BY SRI RAJENDRA PRASAD SHARMA IT APPEARS THAT THE  CREDIT CARD WAS NOT TAKEN OUT FROM THE ENVELOPE AND WAS NOT USED FOR ANY PURPOSE FOR PURCHASING ANY ARTICLE OR ORDERED ANY ITEM  TO  A COMPANY OR USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WHERE THERE IS NO NEED OF CREDIT CARD., ONLY NUMBER AND THE LAST FOUR DIGIT IS  REQUIRED FOR THE ;PURPOSE. NOW IT IS TO BE OBSERVED  WHETHER THE ENVELOPE WAS OPEND AT ALL OR THE ENVELOPE WAS TAMPERED BEFORE IS IT WAS DELIVERED TO THE PERSON CONCERNED. NOW IF THE ENVELOPE WAS NEITHER  OPENED NOR TAMPERED BEFORRE DELIVERY IT IS MORE EASY TO PROVE THAT THE CARD WAS NOT USED BY THE PERSON CONCERNED.hOWEVER IN ANY CASE . MOST OF THE BANK HAS SEPERATE ARRANGEMENT FOR CREDIT CARD ONLY. AND YOU HAVE TO TALK WITH THE PHONE BANKING OFFICE OR CUSTOMER SERVICE OF THE PARTICULAR BANK. YOU MAY  ASK FOR CHARGE SLIPS  FOR THE TRANSACTONS WHICH HAVE BEEN STATED IN THE STATEMENT. fROM THE STATEMENT YOU WILL ALSO KNOW THE NAME OF THE COMPANY TO WHOM THE PAYMENT HAVE BEEN MADE. yOUR SHOULD ALSO LODGED A COMPLAINED TO CUSTOMER CASE AS WELL AS TO THE HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT OF CREDIT CARD. YOU WILL GET THE ADDRESS  THE PAPERS RECEIVED BY YOU WITH THE CARD AND ALSO WITH THE STATEMENT. THIS IS MY SUGGESTION ONLY.

SATYA SARAN MUKHERS

OTHERS - GTROUP 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register