Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dinesh   23 January 2018

Conversion of christian marriage to special marriage to obtain spouse visa for my american wife

I am from India and my wife is from USA. we both are christians and accordingly we got married under the Christian Marriage Act a year ago. My wife is applying for a spouse a visa for India and the problem that we are facing is that the FRRO office says that we need to get married under the special marriage act and under that act only a foreigner can get a spouse Visa. I reasoned with them that we both are christians and there is no reason for us to get married under any other act? and nowhere i have read for this procedure for the same, This reasoning made no sense. Then we went to get the conversion to special marriage act the people their told us if you are christians you cant get married under special instead get under christian marriage act!! I asked them to show me where it is written and they couldn't, but they were not willing to change their view. Please help us!

Learning

22 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     23 January 2018

No problem. You can get your existing Christian marriage registered under the Special Marriage Act,1954. There is provision for it under the Act, section 15 provides marriage already solemnized according to other form can be registered under this Act. After registration the marriage will be covered under the SMA. The Registrar of Marriage shall issue Marriage Certificate under this Act that you can use for Spousal immigration/visa etc.purposes.

(Guest)

Registering is easy. Unregistering is very difficult. Think and ink.

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

(Guest)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register