LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abhishek Mawle (x)     29 April 2018

Consumer forum query

I recentlly had a fake news about myself in a newspaper so I purchased the newspaper and read the news which turned out to be fake.My question is can I file the consumer complaint against the newspaper with District Forum Since I purchased the newspaper and the news was fake amounting to unfair trade practice and deficiency in service.

Learning

8 Replies

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     29 April 2018

Can we file a case against a News Paper in Consumer Forum for fake news. Very interesting idea Sir. However, in your case, its more than afake news.Its bsmirching your image.

So the best recourse is to consult a Lawyer and think of filing a defamation case against the News Paper for publishing slander against you.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     29 April 2018

It is definitely a unique idea, however in your case a consumer grievance complaint does not appear to be sustainable, as it does not appear to be covered under any parameters as envisaged by the Consumer Grievance Act.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     29 April 2018

If you are feeling so offended contact and engage a local prudent lawyer to issue a legal notice followed by criminal complaint for defamation and compensation for damages caused by publish fake news; otherwise keep quiet and do not waste your (as well as our) time and energy.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     29 April 2018

It is ill-conceived, mis-informed and mis-guidance to file a consumer complaint, which is not maintainable.

P. Venu (Advocate)     29 April 2018

Action lies only in a civil court, not a consumer forum. 

Abhishek Mawle (x)     12 May 2018

Do I not become a consumer because of I have purchased newspaper and does it not amount to deficiency of service for pubishing newspaper.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     13 May 2018

As I said earlier, its a novel idea. Unless you file the case and argue effectively before the consumer forum, we may not be knowing the result.  Logically speaking, you ARE A CONSUMER of the news paper you purchased or TV content provider to whom you paid money for the paper or services. 

Please do file the case and inform the forum about the result.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     13 May 2018

For those who say it is not a fit case for consumer forum, I have a poser.  Suppose, I have been subscribing a news paper by paying for the same or purchasing it regularly every day.  There is one news item, which I found quite fake. The fake news has given me lot of mental stress, grief and anxiety. I am of the view, that as a consumer to the news paper, I can definetely file a case in consumer forum.  Just because there is no precedent, we cannot say it cannot be done. For precedent also, there is a first time!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register