Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

S B Mumbai (Student)     07 May 2016

Conflicting judgements

Dear Experts

Are there any judgements by the Hon. Supreme Court or any law which clearly define(s) which judgement will find precedence when two or more judgements from the same court are conflicting in nature? 

Most lawyers I could talk to opine that the most recent judgement should have precedence, but I am not able to find any case law or law which clearly states this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Learning

1 Replies

Kunal Godhwani   07 May 2016

No, the recent judgment will prevail only when it has distinguished the earlier judgment or when it has been passed by larger bench. I am reproducing below the judgment of the Hon'ble Madhya Pradesh High Court.  

Jabalpur Bus Operators ... vs State Of M.P. - 2003 (4) JCR 325 MP, 2003 (1) MPHT 226

"In case of conflict between two decisions of the Apex Court, Benches comprising of equal number of Judges, decision of earlier Bench is binding unless explained by the latter Bench of equal strength, in which case the later decision is binding. Decision of a Larger Bench is binding on smaller Benches. Therefore, the decision of earlier Division Bench, unless distinguished by latter Division Bench, is binding on the High Courts and the Subordinate Courts."

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register