LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Samuel Fisher (Service)     28 October 2017

Compensation claim for undue harrassment

I had booked a ticket from Delhi to Shimla. As I was travelling from another city, my flight landed at around 11 pm at the Delhi airport. There the authorities told me that the check-in for the Shimla flight would start at 2 am in the morning. But when I went to the checkin counter, the attendant told me that the flight had been cancelled due to some operational reason. On enquiring why I had not received any intimation regarding the same, the airline personnel informed that the customer details were not available with them, hence they could not inform me.

They just offered me a refund or asked me to let them know if I wanted to travel to some other city near Shimla - they would provide ticket for that. Since I did not have an idea of other cities with airport near Shimla, I asked for a refund so that I could atleast take some bus to Shimla from Delhi. The airline guys then just asked me to sign on some register and leave the airport, where I had to wait till 5 am to get a taxi and go to Shimla.

On enquiring with the travel agent with whom I had booked the ticket, they said that customer information was properly updated with the airline, else they would not have confirmed the ticket in the first place.

Now the question is, as I don't know which party is lying - the airline of the travel agent, can I pull up both parties to the consumer court and demand compensation for the undue harrassment and deficient service?

Learned lawyers in the forum, kindly advise. Thanks in advance.

Learning

1 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     09 November 2017

It appears that the flight is cancelled and you got the refund.  There seems to be no cause of action for going to consumer court.

The airport nearest to Shimla is Chandigarh which is three hours drive.

Delhi Shimla bus service available in plenty and journey is 10 hours.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register