LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Redeye (Director)     20 September 2014

Companies act 2013

In an arbitration case a judgement was delivered in favor of the claimant  which mentioned a finding which said that the respondent (a builder)  did not provide details of the sanctioned plan as per statutory requirements as given in AP Apartments act 1987 (i.e. the details given were different from the sanctioned plan).T

There were also other violations like denying property rights of the claimant ,(though specifically mentioned in the agreement) by misrepresentation of facts in various affidavits,during the conduct of the proceedings

Number of lies were also mentioned in the affidavit signed by the respondent, which were submitted to the honorable arbitrator & many lies were mentioned by the respondent's witness during the cross exam.

There was a clear case of the builder doing all this to make wrongful gain to himself which would have resulted in a wrongful loss to the claimant (& other owners  of the apartment)

Can the above be used to file a case against the respondent under the new Companies act 2013  under section 447 in conjunction  with other sections like sec 206(4),229,339,448 etc

Learning

2 Replies

ROHIT SHARMA (Legal Advisor )     20 September 2014

1. Even if the builder is having a registered Company but still Why invoke company's act ?

2. As apartment holder you are not a share holder of the company and hence the provision of companies act are not attracted.

3. Based upon the arbitrator's report which is in your favor, then for the cause of perjury by the respondent can be by filing a police complain for his act of dishonestly making a false claim ij court ( even proceedings before an Arbitrator is deemed as legal proceedings) which act is punishable u/s 209 of I.P.C.

Redeye (Director)     20 September 2014

Dear Sir

Thanks for your reply.

May i request you to clarify whether the Companies act can be invoked only by a shareholder or by any one on whom the company has committed a fraud (as was the present case)  since i saw a forum thread on "Fraud -companies act" https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Fraud-companies-act-2013-106520.asp which says 

'Fraud', these days is not just limited to financial impropriety, the Indian Company Act 2013 has brought a paradigm change in defining it. The reporting responsibility is now critical, penalties are harsh, coverage is unified, what is more important is that it covers all class of stakeholders." 

Also I was given to understand that Companies Act 2013 covers false statements  & fraud in a much more comprehensive way with much stiffer  poenalties

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register